Menu
calilorena
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

BT Socket

Hi there, 

I’ve just received my Hub 3 in my new flat but i have no Virgin Media socket. All I can see is a BT phone socket. Does an engineer need to come go fix this? Or can I connect to the phone socket using the cable provided? 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT Socket

BT & Virgin use totally different networks. Virgin uses either coaxial or fibre to feed the house, usually from a brown or grey outside box at ground level. Most installations still have a Siamese “shotgun barrel” type cable coming in, with a single coax either straight through the wall, or tacked along it to the required entry point. We see a lot of cases on here where the internal wall box has been removed & just the coax cable end is left.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sometimes there is a socket from one of VM's predecessor companies such as Telewest or NTL which should work if still connected to the cable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
calilorena
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you!! I have booked an appointment for them to come and look at it on Monday!! 

0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @calilorena

Thank you so much for your post and I'm so sorry to hear you are having this issue with your install. 

I know you have an appointment booked for today, please let us know how things are looking once the engineer has been? 

Thank you. 

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
calilorena
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @ashleigh_C, 

Unfortunately the engineer has now left and it is confirmed that I do not have a connection to install Virgin Media in this flat.

the flat is rented so drilling any holes is not an option therefore I would like to go ahead and terminate my contract that only started 2 days ago. 

Can someone please contact me asap to move this forward? 

Also to understand how I can send back the Hub to you.

Thank you

Kind Regards,

Clara 

0 Kudos
calilorena
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

and to add, I was told on the phone that there was a connection on this flat already and I would not have any issues...
0 Kudos
Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @calilorena

I'm so sorry to hear this and I understand how frustrating this must be. I'll happily get this sorted for you. I'm going to send you a PM so we can sort the cancellation, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message received. 

Thank you.

Ash_C
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos