cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic compensation

K23L
Joining in

Is there a cap on the automatic compensation I can claim?

We signed up with virgin media for broadband to move into our new home. The installation was booked for the week after our move in date, 21st December 2023. 

We still haven't had the installation and keep getting fobbed off that there are issues with the external works needed to happen to the property prior to the internal installation. 

Every month the date gets pushed back another month, and then we get the same message that there is an issue with the external works. 

And every time I call up and complain, I am reassured that they are on to the problem and I will be eligible for the automatic compensation scheme.

The last time they pushed it back, in fact, we weren't even told why - noone showed up on the day, and then we just had a notification in the evening that it was again pushed back another month without a reason why.

1) Why is this such an issue to install on the first place if BOTH my neighbours have virgin media. I've been told today that there is a traffic issue on my road - but there ISN'T!

2) is there a cap on how much compensation I can claim in Virgin's small print, because I can't find anything on that - and according to my calculations we have racked up a grand total of £479 in compensation so far. And that's IF the installation happens on the next date we've been given.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Juniper24
Tuning in

We had the same issue. Our original install date couldn’t go ahead as the cabling was there. We finally got it installed 17 days later but they have now told me I’m not entitled to the £5 per day compensation as I don’t qualify , no reason given , and they offered £20 goodwill . This after I spent money on numerous calls to the pre install team and had to upgrade all our mobiles as we had no internet and they never sent the promised dongle to tied us over . I’ve complained and they’ve apologised but still not offered anything! So be warned about the promised automatic compensation 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re Q2 on compo cap the Ofcom Code of Practice on all this at paragraphs 36-38 indicate no limit so long as neither you nor VM cancel the order. VM very very rarely cancel for some reason so we have seen four figure payments.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Juniper 24 consider escalating to Ombudsman Services. VM increasingly seem to be wriggling out of their legal obligations. Don't stand for it. Demand a deadlock letter from VM first. 

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @K23L 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry for the install delay. In relation to your question about Automatic Compensation, see here 👉 virg.in/autocomp - it would either be applied manually or as is the case sometimes, sent off for manual review after install.

I will send you a PM though to make sure you have a complaint assigned to the install team.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @Juniper24 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Sorry about the dispute over the Automatic Compensation. We would need to do a manual review of this to formalise the complaint for you. I will send you a PM now to get this done.

Kind regards

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @K23L 

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, I have raised and assigned a case to our Install/Construction complaint team, they'll contact you asap.

If you do need further help, please pop back to the Community and we'll be glad to assist.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team