Menu
hrubb
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Area reference 20 DNS FAILURE

Need some help getting engineers snet to sort this out, I can't deal with this any longer. I live in one of the Gosport Harbor towers and my internet has been intermittent for months now apparently. (I have been abroad and just back in april), but others with VM told me it's because of the worksite that is encamped in the middle of the tower blocks that are undergoing renovations.

This company 'AXIS' has setup wireless internet for all their workers to message eachover on site and that this has overloaded the local DNS server as it's assigning too many IPs for everyones' devices.

Literally no internet for me from 8am to just past 5pm ESPECIALLY, as it seems they have been given priority.

This is not on and I need help!!!!  Or even a recompensation for the service I am paying for but am not receiving!!

When I was at home I did the windows 10 troubleshooter and it said not a valid IP and that the DNS server isn't responding.

It's NOT ME or my computer, I've reset it several times to no avail.

0 Kudos
hrubb
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Area reference 20 DNS FAILURE

Just made a complaint on the web-form.

This is totally unacceptable!!

Why aren't monthly sub refunds a thing when VM fails???

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This company 'AXIS' has setup wireless internet for all their workers to message eachover on site and that this has overloaded the local DNS server as it's assigning too many IPs for everyones' devices.

You're mixing DNS and DHCP methinks - DNS is a database that takes a query (most commonly a URL like www.google.com) and returns an answer (most commonly an IP address).  This is a very basic description of DNS but it will suffice 

DHCP on the other assigns IP addresses to network devices.  However Axis is likely to be using their own network for this not the VM network as a whole.

So I'm going to start by going back to basics.

1.  Is your issue over wired/wireless or both?
2.  If wireless can you try and connect over wired and run a speedtest?
3. Post up your router stats.

1. Go to 192.168.0.1 - Don't log in
  2. Click Router Status
  3. Post the info from the following tabs
    • Downstream
    • Upstream
    • Network Status

Be aware that connection issues can manifest as DNS errors as this is one of the first things a web browser looks up when trying to connecting to a web page.  However in these cases the error messages may be misleading.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

hrubb
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'll do this when I get back home again later, thanks.
0 Kudos
hrubb
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

https://i.imgur.com/6QQokO3.jpg

Here an image with the info.
This however is when my internet IS WORKING as it's late now past 8pm.
It stops working when the workmen are on the scaffolding.

I suppose I should post all the info again when my internet goes down again??//

0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Those stats are awful, Downstream power levels are much too low, SNR is too low, one of the upstream channels is too high.

You will need an engineer to sort this out but I think the scaffolding theory can be ruled out, the connection is just generally in very poor shape.

One of the forum team should respond in a day or two and arrange an engineer visit.

hrubb
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

cheers, what should the powers be at?

Oh yeah I forgot, I used both wired and wireless, when it fails both fail.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Acceptable downstream power levels should be between -6 to + 10 dBmV however you also have your downstream RxMer screwed as well.

Finally on the upstream side channel 1 Power level is approaching the max transmit value - it's sitting at 51.0dBmV while the other 3 are at around 40dBmV.  This could actually be a side effect of the poor downstream, but normally such a wide variation would trigger what's called a Dynamic Range Window Violation anyway.

Your connection is currently in very poor shape. 😞

You definitely need a tech visit to resolve this, but I suspect the tech will ultimately need to escalate this to networks.  The tech visit is essentially the start of the process.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

hrubb
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

how will they get in touch with me?

through here?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You have a choice.

1. Wait for the forum team to respond on here. - It can take a day or two though.
2. Ring in to faults on 150 or 151 from a Virgin Media landline or mobile or 0345 454 1111 from any other line.  Faults is usually availabel 24 hours a day on 151.
3. There is also online chat however I favour options 1 or 2.

If you do ring in please update the thread and let us know.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks