cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are These Virgin Wall Sockets for Fibre Broadband?

SirNic6
Tuning in

Forgive my ignorance but could someone identify all the sockets/leads in the photo?

I am currently with Shell Energy broadband and wish to change to Virgin Fibre Broadband.

My current package downloads 14Mbps maximum way short of the 23-53Mbps advertised. 

Superfast Fibre Plus

I am in rented accommodation and can not have workman drilling holes everywhere as it's forbidden so I am hoping the sockets/leads which already exist in my lounge are all I require to receive Virgin fibre broadband.

Many thanks.😃Virgin Wall Sockets.jpg 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

Assuming the cable from this box hasn't been cut yes, you can get VM Broadband, however it isn't full fibre, it's called HFC where it's part fibre and part coax cable, hence the screw connector on the wall box:

You can unscrew the two screws, remove the panel, and check if there is still a cable running into the wall. This cable should run down to VM's network outside the building.

Hopefully the installers of the satellite cabling (Bottom right) didn't mess with VM's cabling!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

carl_pearce
Community elder

Assuming the cable from this box hasn't been cut yes, you can get VM Broadband, however it isn't full fibre, it's called HFC where it's part fibre and part coax cable, hence the screw connector on the wall box:

You can unscrew the two screws, remove the panel, and check if there is still a cable running into the wall. This cable should run down to VM's network outside the building.

Hopefully the installers of the satellite cabling (Bottom right) didn't mess with VM's cabling!

SirNic6
Tuning in

Yes there are cables within the box, what would be the fastest internet I could achieveVirgin Wall Sockets 2.jpg with these cables, I'm currently getting a lousy 14Mbps download speed with my current provider.

I'm assuming that I can only use Virgin Media Broadband with this equipment.

Would an engineer be able to upgrade this set up to full fibre from within my lounge by changing this box?

carl_pearce
Community elder

You can get the fastest speed supplied by VM (Gig1, so 1130Mbps down and 104Mbps up).

You must use VM's suppled HUB (Router), however you can put it in modem mode, meaning you can use your own third party router or mesh system.

VM are upgrading all areas over the next several years to FTTP, however it would be new cables from the nearest cabinet to your residence.

The main difference between HFC and FTTP is the latency (Around 15 - 25ms + vs 8 - 15ms).

SirNic6
Tuning in

Thanks Carl.

I will leave Shell Energy Broadband hopefully without penalty, there is still 6 months left however I will be able to leave due to breach of contract.

• Slow or interrupted broadband: "If the service is slower than the minimum guaranteed speed and your internet service provider hasn't sorted it out within one month, this constitutes a breach of contract".

One thing I would heavily suggest is wait for VM to be up and running BEFORE cancelling your existing connection.

Sometimes you'll get delays of various types that could see you without an internet connection at the worst of times!

SirNic6
Tuning in

I must emphasize that the engineer can only do work inside my lounge where the existing box and cables are he cannot do anything outside i.e drilling holes in walls etc so in theory I connect the Virgin hub to the existing cables/box and I can get a decent broadband speed. 🙂

Greetings, I got the Gig1 package and gone from 14Mbps to 946+Mbps, Like upgrading from a Reliant Robin to an Aston Martin, well happy 😃

Speed Test.png

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@SirNic6 wrote:

I must emphasize that the engineer can only do work inside my lounge where the existing box and cables are he cannot do anything outside i.e drilling holes in walls etc so in theory I connect the Virgin hub to the existing cables/box and I can get a decent broadband speed. 🙂

VM will send out a QuickStart kit, which will be the hub & necessary connectors/leads. If the drop line to the cabinet is intact & in good condition you should be up & running straight away.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks