cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appointment booked. Assurance required.

LittleHammer29
Tuning in

Hi there. I’ve just set up a Virgin M200 Fibre Broadband Only package today (after moving home in recent weeks) and am due a visit from an engineer on Friday 24th.

The reason for the switch is because I had a lot of problems in transferring my previous internet provider to my new home, particularly today. (The previous owners of this house also had a Virgin internet service bundled in with their cable. However, they did not have a telephone line installed, and I have since found out it is not required with Virgin).

My previous provider, however, was adamant that I could not have Fibre installed at this property without them first installing a telephone line/socket, and then essentially undoing all their work and installing the Fibre line at another date. This seemed very strange to me, but I had several members of their team confirm this to me on different occasions. So, I parted ways with them following this as I felt it worthless to go through the whole process now only to change packages a few weeks later.

So, yes, my home does not have a telephone line/socket installed, and if I am correct, I will not need one with Virgin. But essentially, I would like my Virgin broadband hub to be set up in a different corner in my lounge to where the previous owners of this house had their broadband/cable set up (due to me wanting to run an Ethernet cable directly into a nearby streaming device). I suppose my Fibre line would need to run from underground, meaning that parts of my driveway would likely need to be undug to install the line correctly, and there will likely need to be some light drilling on the brick wall in my lounge needed to fix in my new line to the desired location.

But essentially, is this all achievable and will the engineers next Friday be ready to carry these tasks out? Asking because I have a home business and I’ve been offline for a couple of weeks now, and today’s episode means that I will now be offline for another week more than planned. So I essentially need to know if this is all fairly commonplace as far as set-ups go and is all likely to be carried out on the day.

I’ve attached some pictures of the relevant areas within a few steps of my home, so as to gather an idea of the situation.

Thank you very much.

3B58954F-9ADA-4723-B01B-5D88812E7C42.jpeg

76C54B3B-949C-4F91-BA57-9A9BF6BA5D9B.jpeg

51FFAD30-D0A1-4564-92F1-8FEF45BFEB7F.jpeg

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just on the narrow point about your home business you may wish to consider whether it would be better to be a VM business customer as it offers better SLAs and an option for 4g backup. https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/connectivity/internet-access/business-broadband/

Cheers for the advice! Definitely something worth looking into.

For the purposes of getting online at the earliest opportunity, I’ll stick with the package I have for now, but will absolutely consider a business account in the near future.

Good morning to the Virgin Broadband Team. I just wanted to follow up on this thread, please, and make sure that all will be well for Friday. Cheers!

If outside/underground work is required, the date you have been given is only an estimate. For an idea of the potential problems, read down this page for similar cases. But you might be lucky... 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @LittleHammer29,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm glad to hear that you've taken out a package to join the Virgin Media family. Regarding the installation and any construction work, if we do anticipate any delays or complications then this is typically noted in advance and we'll make the necessary adjustments to keep any delays as minimal as possible.

I'm sure that things will proceed as planned, but for peace of mind if you wish to discuss further then I'd recommend reaching out to our pre-installation team. You can reach them by calling 0345 454 1111 (or 150 from a Virgin Media landline), following/selecting the most relevant options, and if needs be the agent you reach can transfer you to the correct department.

If you have any further queries or concerns, please let us know.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Thanks a lot, Zach and JPEG for the responses.

Okay great, hoping for things to proceed positively on Friday, in that case. (I have an 8am - 1pm slot booked.) Appreciate that there may be additional overspill/work that needs to be carried out if removing some ground from my driveway is needed, but am more just looking to be sure that all being well, the installation will be achievable, the hub can be installed in the preferred corner of the lounge, and that the lack of a telephone line in this property won’t be an issue.

Thank you!

No the telephone line will not be needed. If you need a phone service it can be provided via the Hub. I just have this tiny concern that the technician may only be expecting to connect to the existing wall box rather than do any digging. Hopefully that was made clear in the order. Digging is usually done previously by a subcontractor. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just make sure you are there to oversee all aspects of the install ! they should install the Hub where you want albeit they usually want to put it as close to the wall socket as possible - some have been left with just~ 8 inches of coax cable!

If you want the hub further away then they will do that but wont hide the coax - will offer to clip it to skirting boards etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.