Menu
veryconfusedBCS
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Apartment listed as a 'commercial property'

A big HELLO to the Virgin Media Community! I'm trying so hard to join you lmao!
(orry for the long post,I promise it is interesting and I couldn't find anything like this on Google(And I know how to Google  well 😉 )

Before I start I will preface I have my landlords full written permission to have Virgin Media installed as my apartment is on the ground floor and faces outwards towards the road so no other tenants will be effected by this, however she has said she doesn't want any extra bother that would take up her time(ergo the letter).

I originally incorrectly selected the same apartment number for the apartments next door(I'm at 41-43, they're at 44, no space between the apartments). Whoever was in that apartment was already a customer and obviously the order was cancelled.
However, when I search for my apartment(NEXT DOOR) I got told enter my details wait 10 days for a response...
No response.

I then went into my local virgin media branch and they looked by my apartment and told me its a commercially listed building and they'd see what they could do about it.

NOW THIS IS WHERE THE STORY GETS JUICY!

I rang the council because I wanted to inquire why the place I like could legally run a shop outlet.
(^That was a bit hyperbolic but anyway 😉 ) Firstly, got a woman who nicely pulled up the planning permission for me when the building was renovated in 2012 to make the apartments it was marked SPECIFICALLY as residential apartments. She then transferred me to another lady who told me she thinks the property I am in should be listed as residential and then gave me SOMEONE ELSE'S number who will definitely know as THIS person should be able to set the record straight(there might be some weird loophole that allows it, I'm no legal expert), change it back to a residential building, or it is a residential building but there's some sketchy stuff going on. But his office had closed by the time I'd got to that point.

!!!HOWEVER!!!

I then checked the virgin media business broadband page and to my shock they actually confirm I can have it installed directly into my apartment and the 350mb packages for residential and business are basically the same price right now.

FINAL THOUGHTS / CONSPIRACY THEORY

I once worked as a door to door Gas and Electricity switcher(Sorry for getting you to the door) and some gas/energy companies(Looking at you, OvO, but others do it too) would set the meter in the house to commercial so people like me couldn't switch them to cheaper deals on the door. And it happened more than you'd think.

I think that may have been what happened here, BT/OpenReach installed the lines as commercial so nobody in here could(easily) get virgin, because the apartments next door can.

ANY advice would be most appreciated and thanks for reading the absolute nightmare trying to get Virgin at this property.

Many Thanks,
Alex, a very confused 21 old.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Apartment listed as a 'commercial property'

the BT line would have no impact on virgin at all.
the property will be most likely be designated commerical by the royal mail, which is what almost all providers use to match properties.
0 Kudos
veryconfusedBCS
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

Would it take 8 years for Royal Mail to figure out people live here? They have to put letters in our individual post boxes everyday.

Should I just get the business one as it's basically the same price?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

it's just an address for royal mail, doesn't matter who they are deliverying post to.
was the building previously not houses? ie is it a converted building turned into houses?
0 Kudos
veryconfusedBCS
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes, it must have been a shop of some kind before but as I said in OP it was before was renovated in 2012 and the planning permission said it is residential now.

Thanks

0 Kudos
veryconfusedBCS
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Basically,
Can I just order the 350mb business broadband if the Royal Mail checker or whatever they use allows it, and will the installation be any different to a residential install?

The checker goes as precise as my apartment number(in the correct building!) but I just want to check it won't mess with anyone else's connection.

I must stress the landlord couldn't care less about holes in my apartment to get it installed.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

installations (be it residential or business) have no bearing on any other installation in any other property.
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

There is no good reason to get a business contract when you are a residential customer. And business customers don't get TV.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

There is no good reason to get a business contract when you are a residential customer. And business customers don't get TV.

Nor a Virgin Media email address.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo wrote:
Nor a Virgin Media email address.

like anyone would actually use an ISP supplied email account!