cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyway to use existing extensions in house with new Superhub

techweb
On our wavelength

Our house has an old VM master socket which was inherited from previous owners. After moving in and getting setup with Virgin in November last year, I was told only option is to use the SH3 with phone directly connected.

Whilst I can get by this way using DECT phones etc. Our house has extensions in most rooms that I could be using if VM supported it.

Is there any way to leverage our existing internal wiring with SH3?

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
you can backfeed the Hub into the phone extentions using the correct cable

techweb
On our wavelength
Any idea how / where i get the cable to do this? VM said not possible.

techweb
On our wavelength
Wow, really that simple? Are you saying I just take a lead from the master socket and plug it into the VM hub phone port and the other extensions on the back of this will work?

Anonymous
Not applicable
yes but i think you need to make sure the master socket is not connected to a network. so it connects into the extentions

My belief is that as the phone signal is carried over pins 2 and 5 a 2-pin crossover cable will also work.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@Anonymous wrote:
yes but i think you need to make sure the master socket is not connected to a network. so it connects into the extentions

It definitely works. My extensions are connected to the hub using a BT plug to BT plug lead connected into the RJ11 to BT socket adapter that Virgin provided at one end and into one of my extension sockets at the other.  As I had an Openreach master I disconnected the extension wiring from the rear of the lower half faceplate and wired it into a new extension socket beside it. My alarm is also wired in as it calls out if it goes off and all works perfectly.

As VM are no longer using their wired phone lines you can probably safely disconnect the old incoming wire from their master socket. 

C12D0954-34B0-44BE-A0F1-79BFD49A5B97.jpeg

techweb
On our wavelength

Thanks.... If I understand correctly if you remove the extension wiring from the base of the existing VM faceplate then the other internal extensions won't work.

If you disconnect them from the lower half then no, they won't work.  You need to leave them connected or shift them to another socket and use that instead of the master.

If you use the master you need to remove the old incoming wire and leave the extension wiring intact.