Menu
Seventhwitch
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Alexa won't connect

I am disabled and alexa is such a wonderful aid after having her for a month or so I decided to switch to virgin for better broadband and prevent the little annoying interruptions I've experienced with sky during heavier use. Installation was yesterday all was well and after the engineer left and I pottered round the house updating WiFi I discovered I can't connect alexa. I was gutted but after trying everything I know, switch off and on, uninstall, reinstall apps etc, give up wait, try again today, call customer support etc etc I am defeated and hoping for your help and advice? 

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Alexa won't connect

You have to setup your alexa via the alexa app on your phone/tablet

0 Kudos
Seventhwitch
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yea I've done that   She will connect to the app and then won't connect to Internet, yesterday I was getting BAD PASSWORD ERROR.. Today I've gone as far as changing my Internet password so now I get to the same point and it says DID NOT CONNECT PLEASE TRY AGAIN .. I was hoping you would reply 😊 I've read some of your posts, I thought "this guy knows his stuff "!!! What shall I try now? 

0 Kudos
Seventhwitch
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey jj I confused you with someone else sorry  it wasn't your posts I had read but thank you for replying 😊

0 Kudos
spikey673
Superfast
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hardware ( Alexa ) can only use the 2.4 spectrum, you need to split the 2.4 & 5ghz channels on your router ( search the forum you will find out how 👍🏻)

IF i have helped you, please give me kudos / mark me as helpful, thanks
spikey673
Superfast
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Changing-SSID-s-for-individual-2-4-and-5-gh...

Harder to find than I anticipated, so to help you out it’s explained in this thread.

IF i have helped you, please give me kudos / mark me as helpful, thanks
Seventhwitch
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the help I did that and still no joy. I called alexa support today again and after a 20 minute conversation and trying various things they are replacing all 3 of my devices..I am assuming they found a fault somewhere or why would they replace 3 expensive devices? I'm keeping my fingers crossed the replacements will connect and am wondering if the time of year, thinning of the veil is to blame🤔.. Gremlins 😉if they don't work I will be cancelling virgin and going back to sky, I had no problems with alexa then.

0 Kudos
Seventhwitch
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Update for anyone who may suffer this same week of hair pulling and head butting walls. I am now educated enough to work at virgin media with the hub 3 yea that's a joke but I've learned a lot! I've had a virgin engineer out and several calls with alexa  amazon all as baffled as me and still unable to connect. 3 replacement echo dots still no joy .Sunday night this is 6 days later now I've connected 2! HALLELUJAH! Sunday afternoon I've connected another! I'm happy so let me tell you all I know... 2g and 5g yes I split them day one... Day 2 changed names and passwords and seperated the signal. Day 3 changed something and cut myself off line had to call virgin media to reconnect me so do not guess when changing hub settings! Day 5 changed security to wap only from wpk or something like that..and removed the unused ethernet cable from hub 3....done the usual routine of set up with the app on 2 different phones which I've done a million times this week! And I connected on about the 3rd attempt. My advice to all .. Wait till Halloween is over this was nothing but gremlins! 😉 I still love alexa and quality of virgin broadband

0 Kudos
Highlighted
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

For everyone else just use the hub in modem mode and get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and no gremlins.

0 Kudos
Seventhwitch
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Nice but I wish you had answered my first post

0 Kudos