cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alexa intermittent connection new Hub 4

smithgz
Joining in

hi,

Just recently switched over to the new gigabit service and got a new Hub 4. Everything going well except both my amazon echo's which keep dropping the conenction and when connected are very slow in responding. I have rebooting and reset the echo's multiple times, not blocked by the firewalls as they do work.Checked wifi signal using mobile phone and all very good and strong.

Lookign to see if anyone else has had probelms or any other potential fixes?

cheers

18 REPLIES 18

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

Try this, the instructions are for the Hub 3 but the Hub 4 should be similar.

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Best done with a cable connected device.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Noeyedeer
Tuning in

I have exactly the same intermittent connection issue. I’ve tried resetting, renaming & disabling 2.4 & 5.0 Ghz channels. I’ve tried doing a factory reset on my Alexa Echo & Dot. I’ve deleted and reinstalled the app and I’ve also rebooted my iPhone - NOTHING WORKED!
Everything was was fine with the old Hub 3 - c’mon Virgin wake-up, what’s wrong with your new kit?

garage_jim
On our wavelength

I have had the same issue with my Amazon Echo since switching from hub 3 to hub 4. Still no reply from Virgin?

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi garage_jim,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Community Forum! I'm sorry that you're having this problem with your Amazon Echo.

Could you please expand a little bit more on the kind of issues that you're having? Are you able to connect to the Amazon Echo? Is the connection intermittent? Please provide as much information as possible so that I can look into this for you.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Hi Laurie,

Issue is as described further up the thread. Intermittent drop out of connection from my Amazon echo since installing my hub 4. It was fine with the old router. Connection to all other devices is fine. Only tried once but it seems that power cycling the router fixes the Echo connection without any intervention on the Echo itself.

I've not tried splitting 2.4 Vs 5GHz channels because others seem to report it not making a difference.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@garage_jim wrote:

<snip>    i've not tried splitting 2.4 Vs 5GHz channels because others seem to report it not making a difference.

Try it anyway.  From memory I had to do this with one of my Echo's as it wouldn't connect.  You might be able to revert to a single SSID once's it's connected. Also try moving the Echo closer to the Hub initially, once paired move it back to wherever it needs to be.

Note, if you have the wifi pods, you can't have split SSID's AFAIR.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Just to add I have still not resolved this issue all suggested fixes don't work over a period of time. Slexa seems to be the only device that has these issues long term although periodically my nvidia shield will suffer drops when streaming media. Perhaps I have a faulty router as the WiFi is a bit flaky 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@smithgz wrote:

Just to add I have still not resolved this issue all suggested fixes don't work over a period of time. Slexa seems to be the only device that has these issues long term although periodically my nvidia shield will suffer drops when streaming media. Perhaps I have a faulty router as the WiFi is a bit flaky 

Unfortunately the Hub has a bad rap around wifi, but in fairness, wifi is just too easily interrupted by it's environment.  It may be you need to conduct a wifi survey of your property and see if you can identify any sources of interference.  At the end of the day, if it's problematic, you may have to get another. more robust wifi solution.   Either Access Points, or a Mesh solution.  Besides, these solutions are your to keep if you decide to move ISP.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

To provide closure (and no thanks to Virgin!), I seem to have fixed this by splitting 2.4/5Ghz channels into different SSIDs, connecting the echo to 2.4 and then (perhaps most importantly) setting the 2.4 channel to 802.11a/b/g/n which is the standard Amazon say it requires.