cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please on VM cable new installation

Wedgewood
Tuning in

Advice please.  I have signed up with VM and are looking forward to be connected in a few days time. The first team who came yesterday to pull the VM cable out from the curb (located on the right side of the front of the house) told me that I need to have the VM garden team to bury the cable and lift the pavement. They also mentioned that the cable must be put into a conduit and be buried, not exposed to elements. Which means it cannot be clipped alongside the house to the box outside the study.  The current wifi router (not VM) is located in my study which is located at the back of the house on the left side.

To bury the VM cable from the front of the house would cause a lot of upheaval as they have to lift the pavement on the drive to the front of the garage. It has a concrete base. I am very concerned about the disturbance & the appearance to the pavement and whether they can put it back as before without damaging.  Other alternative is to bury the cable conduit alongside the right hand part of the house via a garden slab then turn right alongside the back flower bed then turn right again to reach the study. But this mean it will be 3 times longer conduit/cable to be buried in the back garden. 

Can anyone advise if some part of the VM cable can be clipped onto the barge board under roof tiles or alongside the bricks like the Sky cable? Or must all part of the VM cable be put into the green conduit and buried?  Thank you. 

In view of the length from the 

n they have to dig from the front garden along side the house to the 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Please tell us you haven't cancelled the Sky contract yet?   You need to keep it running until the Virgin service is connected and working to your satisfaction.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jem101
Superstar

I am afraid to say that everything you have been told is at best absolute rubbish or possibly a misunderstanding - no let’s be honest here, it’s all complete rubbish!

A VM ‘garden team’ - that’s a new one!

Sorry but this has all of the hallmarks of a failed installation and a degree of BS to cover it up. 

Absolutely do not expect to be connected up and live in the next few days, next few months? Possibly but don’t bet the farm on it!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"A VM ‘garden team’ - that’s a new one!" they are probably the team writing the firmware for the hubs!

Seriously, what will probably happen is an omnibox to terminate the street cable will be placed on the front of the house by the ‘external’ team and then the ‘internal’ team will run a coax cable around your house to the back. Don’t be brow beaten into having the hub where you don’t want it.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Please tell us you haven't cancelled the Sky contract yet?   You need to keep it running until the Virgin service is connected and working to your satisfaction.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just out of interest, why was my post in this thread yesterday deleted, after being marked as a 'Helpful Answer' ?

Can't say I'm particularly bothered, but it would just be interesting to know.

Helpful.png

- jpeg1

3monthdelay
Joining in

Good luck to you getting Virgin media to help you on this.  I'm still waiting for an installation nearly 1 year later very patiently and have had enough.  Now my property has been wrongly marked unserviceable.  

So sorry to hear that. Nearly a year!!! Absolutely ridiculous. It certainly put people off Virgin Media.

But other service provider is not any better. I'm leaving Talktalk, so very unhappy. The 2 upgrade promised did not materialised, the download speed was the same like before the upgrade, sometime worse, the connection is always cut off, on/off often, on bad days every 10 - 15 mins disconnected. Various engineers came could not resolve the issue. 

Hi Jpeg 1,  

I certainly did not delete your post. 

Hi Wedgewood, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear hear there may have been some confusion with the install and pre-pull work. Whilst it's possible some work may be required, until the prepull is done, there isn't much we can do. 

I can see the installation hasn't been post-poned so let us know how things go. 

If you need further assistance with things, let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath,

A couple of guys, pull team, came on 19 Apr. they found and pulled the cable from the front of our garden and told us to contact the construction team as they are a lot to be buried in the garden (front and side of the property).

Phoned up the number given, who pass the message to the engineering team, Informed the lady that VM confirmed that I would go live on  Tuesday 26 Apr and that my current service provider will terminate their service on that date. It's important that my broadband is not cut off as we work from home. She said that the construction team will come on Friday 22 Apr between 8-6pm and if not finished then they will come back Monday 25 Apr. Waited all day Friday. Nobody came, no text messages. Was even told by a woman from the South African call centre at 5;30 pm that the team would come at 7-9 pm! I told her that I doubt anyone would work that kind of hours here. 

Now still waiting if anyone will show up as scheduled today, as I need to go live tomorrow. 

Will let you know if I am connected tomorrow.