cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Network Error Search (ANES) opt out - resolved

ModTeam

We are aware some customers are unable to opt out of the Advanced Network Error Search (ANES) using the online option.

We are currently working to resolve this issue but in the meantime you can either contact Web Chat or call the our technical support team on 150 from a Virgin landline or alternatively 0345 454 1111.

If you'd prefer us to get this done for you please pop a post on this thread and one of the mod team will contact you as soon as we can.

This issue should now be resolved.

Please opt out using your home connection on this website https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/ and if you have any problems please let us know.

114 REPLIES 114

Yes, but it doesn't work for me. It's off, but I'm still getting those irritating Virgin page suggestions.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Strange - It works for me.  Their may be a back end issue on your account - @ModTeam?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the mention @ravenstar68

I've checked and all looks good from this end. Not sure why this is happening really.

@RRowley21 have you rebooted the Superhub since opting out?

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stephen_B - The thing is it's not handled by the hub itself.  It appears to be done solely on IP address, after all you don't even have to sign in to reach the page.

On getting an NXDOMAIN result from a DNS lookup, Virgin's public DNS servers appear to check whether the IP has opted out of ANES.  If it hasn't then the DNS server returns the ANES search page.  If it has then the DNS server returns the expected NXDOMAIN result instead.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@ravenstar68 appreciate what your saying just going off past experience a reboot usually resolves it. Don't ask me whySmiley Happy

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Yes, the hub has been rebooted several times.

Stephen_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Leave it with us for the moment and we'll look into this for you.

In the meantime though:

Does this happen on multiple devices?

Could you explain more around your setup so we may pin point why this is happening?

Kind regards
Steve
Community Moderator

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

Hi @RRowley21

We've done a few things our end, could you please try again. You may need to power off the hub once again for about 30 seconds. 

Many thanks 

Hello GuildfordQuin,

Thanks for posting 🙂

Sorry to hear that you're struggling to access your VPN, I know these connections can be tricky. In some cases we have to apply some port forwarding rules, you will need to ask your employers for the ports you need to access. With regards to what you colleague recommended, do they mean Advanced Network Error Search?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Can someone please advise how do I turn the Advanced DNS Error Search through MyVM? I cannot find the choice anywhere after logging in.