cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding second VM Broadband line in

Rob071938
Joining in

Hi. We have a VM broadband cable all working and set up. The VM cable currently goes up and over the house then connects to the usual router etc. i would like to branch off the VM cable where it first reaches the house so I can run a second line, and connect a line directly to my home office laptop. My laptop doesn’t get great Wifi signal. Is this an option?

The VM cable currently runs up the wall so thinking just drilling through the wall be the easiest way to run a second cable into the room. Guess need a new VM box too. Running a second cable from the current router isn’t my preference.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thats unlikely to happen - you can only have one Hub on one account - and it would be expensive!

The best way is to get some good ethernet cable Cat5e or even better Cat6, and run it internally (or externally) from the Hub's ethernet port to the home office and simply put on a £15 ethernet switch with 1GB ports or add wireless access point which has 4 free ports (~£50) to provide full speed wifi and ethernet connectivity in that area.

Or if running ethernet cables is problematic, look at a good quality introductory Mesh system like the TP-Link Deco M4 or M5 3-packs that ought to sort it quite simply depending on your property layout

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thats unlikely to happen - you can only have one Hub on one account - and it would be expensive!

The best way is to get some good ethernet cable Cat5e or even better Cat6, and run it internally (or externally) from the Hub's ethernet port to the home office and simply put on a £15 ethernet switch with 1GB ports or add wireless access point which has 4 free ports (~£50) to provide full speed wifi and ethernet connectivity in that area.

Or if running ethernet cables is problematic, look at a good quality introductory Mesh system like the TP-Link Deco M4 or M5 3-packs that ought to sort it quite simply depending on your property layout

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Really appreciated, thanks John, will go with that suggestion and look at those options from you instead.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you're on Gig1, Ultimate Oomph or any of the Volt bundles you can get Pods from Virgin Media for no additional cost that'll create a mesh network

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-existing-customer
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own