Menu
kimspencer3
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

AWFUL SERVICE! Pre-Install Construction Issue

As an existing customer of Virgin Media Broadband we organisation the transfer of our internet as we were moving address.

We moved on March 27th, were given a pre-install date of March 29th and an installation date of March 31st.

On the 29th, a pre-installation engineer visited our property and said everything was fine to connect us as planned on the 31st.

On the 31st two Kier Construction engineers come out to connect us but said that there was a blocked duct in the road. They said they would fix it but just parked outside our house for 20 minutes, drew a green arrow on the pavement outside and then left without saying a word! Later in the day, on the 31st, a Virgin engineer arrived but said he could not activate our connection because no cable had been pulled through.
How did the pre-install team tell us everything was fine then just 2 days before!?

We were then given a new install date of April 16th, over 2 weeks later! Meaning we would have no internet when first moving into our new property and had to work from home with no internet! Not ideal for a Key Worker trying to teach 30 children from home!!!

Fast forward to today (April 14th) and nobody can tell me when the construction work out on the street is going to happen. After multiple calls to Virgin Media I've essentially wasted over 8 hours on the phone trying to explain that working from home with no internet due to no fault of our own is not acceptable. Multiple times we have been told the engineers would come that day to ensure everything is ready for the new installation but it never happened.

Considering this is completely Virgin Media's fault, I'm far from impressed. Surely they should be fixing this quicker given it was their mess up? Given the new date is 2 weeks after our initial move and the success of the 16th is looking very unlikely this is simply unacceptable.

I'm getting nowhere on the phone, though. I've asked multiple times to speak to the construction team to ask when will the construction work be done, and haven't managed to.

nexusred
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: AWFUL SERVICE! Pre-Install Construction Issue

You are not alone we are in exactly the same boat ! been with VM for 5 years , moved house on the 26th March , given install date of the 6th April , recieved an email on the 27th March , installation delayed until the 14th April . 7th April VM engineer installed access point in road with cable ready to be run from there to the house .

Install was supposed to be today between 1pm and 6pm , suprisingly it was a no show ! I have no faith in VM turning up anytime soon. Cancellation means that VM will use the opportunity to try and claim disproportionate early disconnection fees for a service that is non existent and a customer help team which do anything but help . I too am working from home and need to transmit large data files , trying to do this over 4G is a joke .

I have also given up trying to speak to the installation time after multiple times , I get the impression they dont really care about customer satisfaction .

If they dont turn up tomorrow then I will be signing up with BT and take up the fight with VM and their complete joke of early discoonection fees !

0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately it’s most likely not a VM fault that is holding up your installation. A blocked cable duct requires digging up the pavement or road and VM cannot  just do that without the local councils permission. This permission, as it seems everything with a local council, takes times to be granted, sometimes even weeks. Where VM does fall down is not letting the customer know of these problems. Naturally they cannot give a date for the council permission to be granted, so they do nothing and the customer is left hanging.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
nexusred
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response , unfortunatley its a little detached from reality . The connection is already in the road , but no sign of the VM workmen to run the cable to the house , Local Authortiy permits are not required for this .

The contract is also incorrect , as we moved we should have the remaining term of our original contract left . Not with VM ! apparently its now 18 months from yesterday for an imaginary broadband connection . VM agreed to move the same services we had previously to our new address and we should only have the remaining term from our previous contract - O.5. of the VM Terms and Conditions . No one at VM seems to able to advise on when the engineer will be here regardless of this .

As VM have failed to provide the same services at our new address by virtue of the fact they have started a new contract then we have the right to terminate the services with no early disconnection fee - O.3. of the VM Terms and Conditions 

This is the legal position of the contract we have with VM . On a personal note if I did not turn up for client appointments and did not tell them in advance I wouldn't have a business !

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nexuserd, 

Thanks for your post, if a pre pull is needed or any kind of construction we do require permission from the local authority, 

Zoie

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I don't see how this is VM's fault, to clear the blocked/collapsed duct they will need to dig the pavement/street.  This requires a permit to be raised.  I'm sure VM aren't doing this on purpose as they will probably have to fork out comp..

0 Kudos