cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9 Month Delay for Installation So Far

thefamousdevlin
Tuning in

Can anybody offer advice on what I should do or who I should contact?

My Installation was supposed to happen on March 7th. It has been repeatedly delayed. The first time anyone came out to do the external work was September and they couldn't complete it because there was a blockage where the cables need to go. There probably wasn't a blockage in March!

Obviously, nobody has been out since.

There's no point calling the installation team. I've emailed the complaints address and copied in the chief executive. I've made 3 formal complaints which have all been ignored.

Any suggestions about where I go from here?

Thanks 

18 REPLIES 18

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey thefamousdevlin, thank you for reaching out and I am so sorry to hear about your delayed install.

I want to get to the bottom of this, I am going to send you a PM.

Please look out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Tamps
On our wavelength

@thefamousdevlin wrote:

Can anybody offer advice on what I should do or who I should contact?

<snip>

Yikes! Sympathies. I've been waiting since the end of August and I thought that was frustrating.

One of the best and most complete responses I've seen to this question is message number 2 on this thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Installation-being-pushed-back/td-p/51779...

thefamousdevlin
Tuning in

I've now been waiting over 9 months for my Installation. The delay now is because the contractors have to install temporary traffic lights to open up the manhole and clean it out because the cables need to come from over the road. Virgin, completely unembarrassed by a customer having a 9 month delay are content to wait until the contractors contact them, rather than chase to find out what is going on.

I found out today that my next door neighbour has Virgin Fibre. Does this not mean that the cables are already on my side of the road?

Thank you

Devlin 

@thefamousdevlin wrote:

Snip…

I found out today that my next door neighbour has Virgin Fibre. Does this not mean that the cables are already on my side of the road?

Thank you

Devlin 

Probably yes, although there can be other reasons for why your neighbour has a connection but you can’t.

On the other hand, I presume you had an original installation date of 7th March, and VM haven’t issued you with a ‘cease notice’ at any point have they? That being the case, you are entitled to compensation of £5.25 for each and every day from 7th March until VM finally get you connected up. What actually will happen is that you will be told a pack of lies about ‘we’re waiting for Council permission, it’s not our fault so no compensation for you’, which is almost inevitably a pile of BS, you may also get the ‘well it’s only a provisional date rather than a firm date, so again no compensation for you’ which is also a lie, whether deliberate or simply a failure of VM staff to understand their own regulations - well who can say?

So here’s my advice, firstly investigate alternate broadband suppliers and simply sign up with one of them, however do not cancel your VM installation, in fact just don’t bother contacting them again. Until and unless they issue a proper ‘cease notice’, and going by the complete absence of reports on here of anyone ever getting one, I suspect that nobody at VM is even aware of their existence or purpose.

Just think of the compensation racking up, which you are entitled to even if you never use VM’s services! Eventually, maybe, they’ll get around to connecting you up, in which case, you test it and immediately cancel without any penalty under the 14 day cooling off period regulations. Costs you nothing, but you absolutely know that the cables are all in place and working should you want to give VM another go in the future.

Oh and lastly, as I mentioned, you absolutely will be given the run around about the compensation, please do post back here when that happens and we can advise on how to work the system, so to speak, does involve a few jumping through hoops and eventually going to the industry adjudicator CISAS, but it’ll be worth it.

@thefamousdevlin wrote:

I've now been waiting over 9 months for my Installation. The delay now is because the contractors have to install temporary traffic lights to open up the manhole and clean it out because the cables need to come from over the road. Virgin, completely unembarrassed by a customer having a 9 month delay are content to wait until the contractors contact them, rather than chase to find out what is going on.

Thank you

Devlin 

How current is your last info/contact with VM?

There have been past topics on here (involving long waits and work requiring traffic lights etc.) where VM has simply given up on the job and cancelled the installation (but without actually bothering to tell the customer this!).

Thank you for this. Yes, I'm not expecting getting the compensation to be easy or straightforward!

Last conversation was last week when they said they were waiting for news from the contractors.

@thefamousdevlin wrote:

Thank you for this. Yes, I'm not expecting getting the compensation to be easy or straightforward!

But you WILL get if you follow the advice offered here. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi there @thefamousdevlin 

We are so sorry to hear that you have faced this issue with your installation, I can see that you have been in PM with one of our staff.

Are you able to pop back to them so they can chase this for you?