Menu
markinchelsea
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

6-8 Week delay does it have a happy ending?

Hi Everyone, 

I have just moved into a new flat and my installation was date was supposed to be on Tuesday.  Last Thursday I was called by VM and informed that my installation was going to be delayed by a day or two.  I telephoned up VM on Tuesday to find out what my new installation date and was informed that there would now be a delay of upto 6-8 weeks due to them now needing some permission from my local authority to dig up and install my cable.  

Checking through these forums it looks like my issue is now quite common with customers being told that they lived in a VM area and then was told their installation would be delayed.  I am wondering whether anyone else has had the same issue and then successfully got VM eventually installed at their property after the 6-8 week delay?   My gut instinct tells me that I should maybe start to look somewhere else as why would VM dig up the road just so I can get their service installed. 

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: 6-8 Week delay does it have a happy ending?

With job be passed to construction is a bit more work required, possible when they expected the cabling, yeah that's more excuse than anything else

Doubtful can get it down any quicker since the construction team normally has a big delay

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

In many areas VM is the only company with seperate ducting & street cabinets, so for the most part the problem is unique to them. Blockages cannot be found until a cable pull to the property is attempted, & then it becomes a construction issue.

Firstly, there is no fast-track system for council permits with telecoms work, which is in most cases classified as non urgent. Some councils have been known to take 3 months to issue permits. Secondly, the construction contractor also has to contact all the other utilities with underground services at the location to check if they will be affected.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

With job be passed to construction is a bit more work required, possible when they expected the cabling, yeah that's more excuse than anything else

Doubtful can get it down any quicker since the construction team normally has a big delay

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
markinchelsea
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So has there been anyone else in my situation and eventually got there services installed after a long delay?  Thanks 😀

0 Kudos
gaz31
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My delay was 4 months after originally having an install date for September and four failed installs later due to construction issues.

I was finally connected in January.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

When you consider most people post here because they have had problems, there are unlikely to be many positive responses.

Looking at my own local area I see many construction jobs where service tees are blocked or need moving. The majority of these don’t seem to cause any problems after the initial issue is found.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
markinchelsea
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just to keep you updated, I am now 2 weeks past my installation date.  I telephoned up the VM pre install team and they said it could still take 6-8 weeks for us to have the VM services installed at our property, and they where waiting on permission for the works from my local council.  I then telephoned up the road works team up at my local council and they said they hadn't received a permit request from VM as of yet and if they had it would only take 3 days to process so not sure what is happening now.  Are VM lying to us? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@markinchelsea wrote:

Just to keep you updated, I am now 2 weeks past my installation date.  I telephoned up the VM pre install team and they said it could still take 6-8 weeks for us to have the VM services installed at our property, and they where waiting on permission for the works from my local council.  I then telephoned up the road works team up at my local council and they said they hadn't received a permit request from VM as of yet and if they had it would only take 3 days to process so not sure what is happening now.  Are VM lying to us? 

VM passes the job to a construction contractor. They have to raise a detailed plan of what they are doing at the location, including liasing with any other utility that has services in that location. They then pass that work plan to the council & they will either accept or reject it.

0 Kudos
markinchelsea
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

When I spoke to my council they said most permits are processed within 3 working days, and as I live on a close it shouldn't be any issue at all.  I am just a bit shocked that VM haven't even contacted my council yet and applied for permission to get the construction work underway.  

0 Kudos