cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

47 Days with NO Broadband

Megan33Smith
Tuning in
In October a virgin field representative signed us up for super fast 500mbs fibre broadband. On the recommendation of the sales advisor we cancelled our broadband with Sky so there would be no overlap in charges for our internet, we were reassured us there would be no problem with the installation. 

Scheduled for the 6th November, we were looking forward to our super fast broadband being installed. However, less than 48 hours prior to installation, and just as Sky had turned off our services, we receive a call at 4:35pm saying our broadband had been postponed till the 22nd November. We contacted Sky to ask if we could delay our turn off and we’re told it was too short notice as it was later than 3pm. Naturally, we complained as my partner works from home due to COVID restrictions and this would affect his day-to-day employment as he had no other means of internet access. 

Before the 22nd November, I had rang the pre-install team 5 different times and each time they have told me a different story as to why we’re being delayed. They have all said that there is no notes on our account and that we haven’t yet been made a priority. They have all then reassured me that they will put a note on my account and make us priority only for me to ring again and then say the same thing. I have spoken to a senior lead at the pre-install team and she has given me the exact same speech and I have still got nowhere. I have never experienced customer service this bad. 

After the numerous calls to the customer services team, on the 19th November we received another call to tell us that our installation date had been moved to the 4th December. We were told that this was due to a blockage with regards to the external work and that you required permission from our local authority (Wigan council) to complete the work. 

Because Virgin use a third-party to complete the external work and the sheer lack of experience throughout the pre-installations team, I decided to contact the sales representative who sold us the broadband to ask if he could speed up the process and to get our installation moved forward. He contacted the Field Area Manager who informed us that the pre-pull would be completed on the 24th November. 

Sure enough, on the 24th the pre-pull was completed and confirmed later via an email from the Field Area Manager. 

Over the following days we chased for an update to ensure that everything would be ready for the 4th December installation date with no response from field representative. I rang the pre-installation team again and was reassured that everything was definitely going to go ahead on the 4th December as all the blockages and work outside the bounds of our property has been completed. 

On 3rd December more work had been done on the pavement outside of our property and we believed we were on track to have everything completed on the 4th December. I however came home to find the manhole still open from what I can only assume is a pathetic effort to fix our external work (even though it was supposed to have already been completed) and rope left hanging out across the pavement. We live near a school and many children walk past our house, not to mention a lady who drives past on a mobility scooter each day. Surely this is a health and safety hazard?  

At 18:40 on the 3rd December, we receive a call to inform us that the installation cannot be completed until the 22nd December. How is this acceptable? How is a company as big as Virgin offering such disgraceful and unacceptable customer service.

We have currently been without broadband for  29 days. Virgin are expecting us to wait for another 18 days. Resulting in a total of 47 days without broadband IF it is installed on the 22nd December. My partner is having to utilise the local library to work, the security cameras on our property are not working because they need to connect to wifi and we have smart heating that we can’t use properly. Every single one of Virgin’s employees that we have spoken to couldn’t care less…’we completely understand Miss Smith’ is just a compete cop out and doesn’t resolve the issue at all. 

The only reason I haven’t cancelled is because of the speeds Virgin offers compared to their competitors in our area. 

I am hoping that if I raise this issue beyond the incompetence of the customer service team that something will be resolved within a decent timescale.

I have absolutely no faith that we are going to have our broadband installed before Christmas. I hope that you can provide a better response than your customer services team and resolve this issue. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi all, just a quick update to inform you that yesterday the external works were finally completed and we are now fully set up. 

If anyone finds this thread and needs advice… my suggestion would be to fight tooth and nail to get the Area Managers contact details as the pre-install team are useless. 

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone! 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning Megan335Smith. 

Welcome to the forums and thank you so much for taking the time to post. 

I am really sorry to hear that you have had some issues with getting your install sorted, this really isn't the way we would have liked things to have started. 

I have managed to locate your account via your forum details & I have emailed the AFM (area field manager) in the hope that we can get a proper explanation as to the reason this has been delayed. 

As soon as I have a response I shall get back in touch (I wouldn't expect them to replay till at least Monday) 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Area Field Managers are rare creatures 😎.   Whilst awaiting a response from the depths of VM central.... I usually recommend this...

Can you connect to OR,Sky, BT etc - or even a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract? Three have a good 4G monthly contract package.

If so do it now and just let the VM install run its course. You will pay nothing until VM's service is installed and operational. When it finally happens you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service (hence better if you took a 30-day contract).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Great advice @jbrennand as usual.

This just highlights the old adage, never ever cancel your existing Broadband until your new one is up and running. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you Zak_M,

I look forward to your reply once the AFM gets back to you. An explanation would actually be helpful as no one else seems to know why we couldn’t have had our installation today. 

kind regards,

Megan

@Megan33Smith wrote:

Thank you Zak_M,

I look forward to your reply once the AFM gets back to you. An explanation would actually be helpful as no one else seems to know why we couldn’t have had our installation today. 

kind regards,

Megan

as said above AFM's are rare - they exist - i have met one but they seem to be a law to themselves so if you get an answer - great but dont hold your breath

a sim is the quick answer - £18 ish for unlimited data from Smarty - it did me for the 65+ days i was offline after powergen damaged the cable and duct

the sim on 4g worked surprisingly well - slow but reliable

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions and feedback… 

I am hopeful that we will hear from our AFM as we have already had feedback from him previously via our field sales representative.

it’s almost laughable how little information they provide for such an integral part of the installation. 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning Megan33smith. 

I have heard back from the AFM. 

I haven't really be given a full explanation other than multiple construction issues where found these have now been resolved. 

The AFM has said that multiple pits need accessing & its on a busy road so we are hoping that we can get an early morning slot with the council to avoid disruption. 

He has further referred this on & I have been asked to be kept in the loop. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

Thanks for getting back to me. It's great to finally get an explanation! 

Now that the issues have been resolved, what is it we are waiting for? I am unsure what busy road they may be referring to as we live in a cul-de-sac.

Please keep me updated if you hear anything... I hope that we finally get our installation on the 22nd. 

Many thanks, 

Megan

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me. 

I haven't heard anything further as of yet but I will send a follow up email today.

We have to get the permission from the council in order to pull the cables far enough. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M