cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 months - still not connected

EPicLURcher
Joining in

3 months ago I signed up for VM internet and TV.

Today, I still have not been connected. Apparently there is some preinstall work that needs to be done. I am told every time I contact VM (at least 1x per week) that the preinstall work will be done "Tomorrow"

But of course, it never is

How do I get a proper install date - how do I find out what is blocking the install? I need the connection for work and am unable to do so whilst VM screw me around and disappoint me everyday.

18 REPLIES 18

@EPicLURcher so what alternative broadband suppliers do you have? Your story certainly isn’t unique, the current record is one year between the first, absolutely promised, installation date and the actual date that it was done - so you have a way to go to challenge for the title!

In terms of the poor / not existent communication, well, yes that is one of VM’s specialities, nobody’s fault really just an inevitable consequence of how the senior management have decided to organise the company; ie outsource everything that isn't nailed down to the lowest bidder and keep your fingers crossed!

@EPicLURcher Make sure you get every penny of the compensation due to you for a delayed installation, at the Ofcom rate of £5.25 per day.  Council permit delays they wont be liable for that time, the majority of councils will turn round a properly completed section 50 permit from a statutory undertaker in about 48 hours. 

You may need to use complaints and escalation to CISAS to get this even as a credit to your account, if you cancel and want it as cash then you certainly will have to complain and escalate to CISAS, because VM try and wheedle out of their legal obligations by insisting that compensation is only offered as a credit to a live account.  Under UK consumer law, VM signed a contract with you, they are liable for the delays, and even if you cancel, you have a case for compensation up to the date you cancel.  You'll also see in that line that Ofcom have a note "Compensation should be paid no later than...30 calendar days after a delayed start of a new service is resolved or the service is cancelled". 

Incidentally, the one year record for a delayed install that was eventually completed is being threatened by a new contender. who is a mere ten days away from taking the MDIL trophy in a blaze of glory.

This is where Vm have me:

I can get BT etc, but only upto 30mbps - not really enough for my household and our usage patterns

The stomach punch here is i went for the ultimate volt bundle, and am already paying £25 (well, now £28.50 because of inflation) to an 02 contract that i didnt really want, but accepted as part of the bundle deal vm gave me. Even if i cancel my vm contract, i guess I’m stuck with the o2 contract until the term is over

UPDATE

This morning a contractor came round to pull the cables.

They couldn’t - there is no duct work between my property and the spur.

They said that in all honestly VM probably wont connect me and deem me unserviceable- despite being under 5m away from the spur

I was told to expect a 12 week delay before i hear anything more

Well, you bought the O2 contract as a bundled offer, VM and O2 are part of the same group and jointly promoted the offer.  I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that despite the nominal two contracts, the courts (or more likely a CISAS adjudicator) would reasonably conclude that the two contracts purchased in response to a single offer from two related companies constitute a single contract overall, and the VMO2 group have to fulfil all aspects of the joint offer, or themselves be in breach of the contract.  

Wait and see what VM come back with, but if they do deem the property unserviceable, you're still entitled to that £5.25 a day compensation between the first promised install date and the date they say they won't connect you, I'd expect you're entitled to ask for cancellation without penalty of the O2 contract on the basis of it being in effect a single contract (I'd also fully expect O2 to reject that argument), plus refund of any money already taken, and if things get as far as a disputes and separate complaints with both VM and O2, I'd be asking for a further CISAS Tier 4 compensation award for the protracted messing around, inconvenience and distress.   On the plus side a further 12 weeks effing around by VM is another £441 of delayed installation compensation. 

At the moment I doubt the forum staff can't do much to resolve this, if you get a statement of being unserviceable, then they can intervene and try and get a resolution before you need to formally complain and initiate adjudication with CISAS.  They can be effective with VM, I'm not so sure that the chaotic merger with O2 has resulted in any operational contacts that would enable them to get O2 to resolve the matter without a CISAS beating.  If you need to go to CISAS for both O2 and VM, that would be two separate but linked complaints, with combined case fees that those companies would have to pay likely be around £800, before any compensation due to you; Logically the staff should know that and agree a prompt and generous settlement with you, in practice that doesn't seem to be how it all works.

Of course there's a number of people in this forum willing to offer advice on next steps to take as these things develop, so don't be messed around, hold the company to account.  To try and minimise the stress, treat this as a game - your aim is to wring as much compensation as possible from the uncooperative and Kafkaesque bureacracies of VMO2, most of their staff's job is mostly to wheedle, obfuscate, evade an expensive outcome.  This is probably going to rumble on for a good few months yet, you might see the money in time for a late summer holiday.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @EPicLURcher

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about your issue, I can see my colleague had popped you a Private Message so we can have a look further into this, have you managed to reply to this as of yet? We can get security passed from here and have a further look at the issue.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I am done with VM messing me around, and have cancelled my order with them.

its not worth the stress of waiting in to see if anyone will ever turn up

The incompetency and lack of communication with VM is abysmal.

Potential VM customers - be warned.

Hi @EPicLURcher thanks for your post although I'm really sorry that you've decided to cancel with us.

While I can completely respect your decision and reasons in doing so, it is regretful that you've had a negative experience in getting installed.

Thanks for your time and we wish you well for the future.

Many thanks

Tom_W