Menu
Vee001
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

3 and 6 dB attenuator

I recently had a virgin engineer out to fix the issue with my landline, which is now fixed, however, he fitted a 3dB and 6dB to my Internet hub and now my WiFi is telling me there is a poor signal strength.

I never had a poor single before he put theses attenuators on - why do I need them? Why would he put them on? What even are they? 

He said something about my Internet single being 'too good'!?! Surely that's a good thing?!? 

Can anyone offer any advise? 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: 3 and 6 dB attenuator

Post up your hub power levels as per below and the experts on here will advise

post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon at top right or the text at bottom middle - of first page up (depending on which hub you have) and then copy/paste 3 sets of data onto here - the downstream, upstream, & network logs. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & don’t include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Attenuators will not affect your wifi. They correct the power levels into the modem on the cable side.
They will not affect the wifi signal strength

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Vee001
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There is no option for 'router status' when I do the above!?! 

0 Kudos
Vee001
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why would my WiFi strength suddenly dropped?

Will it harm my hub if I take off the attenuators? 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

it will change the power levels and may effect your connection

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Once you post your stats it will be clear if the power is too high, and if it is then remove an attenuator and repost the stats.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Maybe poor choice of Wi-Fi channel has caused the issue. FYI, How do I change my Virgin Media hub's wireless channel?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Vee001 wrote:

There is no option for 'router status' when I do the above!?! 

If you have an SH2 its actually in the top right corner on the black bar,  If Hub3 its in the middle bottom of the page.   But, it only appears after you have logged in once and changed the password - so you must have never logged in before.  So log in and out and it will appear thereafter.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos