Menu
madtail
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

2 virgin modems in 1 house

Hello,

I have just called up virgin about setting up internet in a house with virgin already installed, they said they would have to cancel the current provider to enable another one.

This is a shared house with virgin already installed in the house, however I want my own internet due to the work I do, I have checked my room and there is an unused virgin line ( box against the wall) in there, does this mean I'm able to have my own internet there using this line?

Cheers

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2 virgin modems in 1 house

do you have your own seperate address or is it just a shared property?
who currently has virgin at this property? is it under your name or someone elses?

the socket you see is most likely linked to the existing virgin connection.

you would need to seek installation of a totally seperate feed ie a second line. whether virgin will do that who knows.
0 Kudos
madtail
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It's a shared house, and the virgin accounts under someone else's account (someone who lives there), 

There appears to be 2 virgin sockets installed already, one uses the modem, but theres one in my room that doesnt seem to be used, nothing is connected to it at the moment

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

the socket in your room will just be an extension from the other socket that is already in use.
you can't use that you sign up for a new connection.

you would need a whole new phyiscal installation.
0 Kudos
madtail
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thank you 🙂

0 Kudos
madtail
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just to be clear, I got here just now, 

Is this not another socket I can use?

20190808_003841.jpg

0 Kudos
madtail
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just to be clear (I just got here now), is this an extender or a separate line I can use?20190808_003841 (1).jpg

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

as has already been said. VM only allows one connection per address.
there is only one connection into each house and its split.
what you have is a split connection on the main account from what at some point would likey of been a tivo or tv box.

you'll have to get a BT line installed and to with one of the other providers.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi madtail,

Thank you for reaching out with your query regarding connections in your property 🙂

As our other community members have advised, we would usually only have one connection per property. It is likely that this additional socket was used for previous TV services, or potentially an alternative location for a previous hub.

However, it is sometimes possible to arrange a duplicate account with the permission of the existing account holder. The accounts would be financially independent and have separate connections, which would require a manned installation. This process would be set in motion by our sales team by submitting a duplicate request. They would need to confirm your details, as well as speak with the existing customer to clear account security and obtain permission.

If you'd like to give this a go, please have a word with the current account holder and give our sales team a call on 08009528046.

Thanks,

Rachael

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Rachael_F wrote:

Hi madtail,

Thank you for reaching out with your query regarding connections in your property 🙂

As our other community members have advised, we would usually only have one connection per property. It is likely that this additional socket was used for previous TV services, or potentially an alternative location for a previous hub.

However, it is sometimes possible to arrange a duplicate account with the permission of the existing account holder. The accounts would be financially independent and have separate connections, which would require a manned installation. This process would be set in motion by our sales team by submitting a duplicate request. They would need to confirm your details, as well as speak with the existing customer to clear account security and obtain permission.

If you'd like to give this a go, please have a word with the current account holder and give our sales team a call on 08009528046.

Thanks,

Rachael

is it not possible to have 2 hubs connected to the same drop cable as long as they are on separate accounts - further afaik its possible as you say to have 2 accounts at the same address - as they would be financially independent then why is permission needed from the other account holder

further taking that to the next question is it not possible to have 2 hubs connected to the same internal wiring as long as they are separate accounts

i sight the practice - all be it not common of 2 installs from one omni box - techs do that [usually without asking the original installed user and afaik VM dont ask that user for permission - they should but the number of posts on here about it suggest they dont

Tony
0 Kudos