cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 lines in 1 household

MardoxTV
Joining in

Hi everyone,

I know 2 lines are not really usual but is doable, so there it comes my question.

I'm going to move to a new household soon, the property is not mine, it's a share household, and there is already an existing line from virgin media, but is a 6 bedroom house, so I'm not really convinced, and i definitely want to be connected via ethernet, and have my own router and stuff... So, what does it actually implies to get a second line in the household? does it need a new cabling? would this need to be paid extra? I'd like more details about this if possible, so that i can evaluate the cost and potentially pay it myself, but obviously ask the landlord for approval as well in the case it implies any kind of works/modification/cabling to the house.

The package I was looking at is the 1gbps which i suppose is FTTH and not FTTC

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

4 REPLIES 4

VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there,

The cheapest way would be to run an ethernet cable up to your room from the hub already in the house, this is not something that we provide however it is something you could do yourself. You would of course be sharing the available bandwidth with the other residents of the house.

Having a separate hub would mean that you would need a separate account. This obviously incurs a second charge each month. It is not normally done but it is perfectly doable. If you would like to go ahead with this then this is something I can help you with. You would have an account in your own name and your existing account holder would remain the same. I will drop you a private message to give you my contact details if you would like to take up my offer of help. 

many thanks 

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The rule in general is 2 modems, 2 accounts, 2 feeds from the cabinet. So you will pay everything a new customer has to pay.

All VMs modems work off of coax, even with FTTP the portion within the home is coax, so it makes no difference if you are in an FTTP or HFC serviced area. Full FTTP is required for 10Gb+ symmetrical services & VM has yet to start installing these.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

If you want your own account and Sales agrees to it then the coaxial cable into the house will be split and walls and/or ceilings drilled to get it into your room, so landlord's permission should be obtained. However, if you can get an Ethernet cable run into your room, which is usually the best solution, you can connect it to a network switch for multiple devices such as a wireless access point, PC, games controller, TV, etc. It would be sensible to offer to contribute to the VM bills, which should help the account holder give permission to share the broadband.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi @MardoxTV

Welcome to the community. Looks like you have been given all the answers to the questions you have already asked. 

If you would like to go ahead with a another router to be install please let @VM-Jon know and I'm sure he'll happily get this installed for you. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley