cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

100mb advice

spurdog11
On our wavelength

Signed up 4 weeks ago, requesting "prior visit" to pick best reception, cable minimality (refused-all will be sorted on the day).

After 3 weeks and a few outages I checked my speed, 25-40MB, rarely anything more. reading up it said don't put it near TV/aerial (guess what, its installed there-by a prev house owner). This should be a doddle.

After calling engineer out on a weakened signal, the plugs were replaced in the road (Unrelated?).

Spoke to engineer, there does seem minimal improvement, but where is the 100MB?

One other option to resite, but could create another problem, so highly reluctant to do that. Also don't want cables over the house. Am i alone on this (as a newbie). was stuck on the phone last week for nearly two hours, doing nothing whilst he played his end. Have seen 40MB once.

Any suggestions, i would want their help with an engineer, i am not one. I am confident its their error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Z92
Trouble shooter

You need to connect your laptop directly to the hub, no power extenders, range extenders, etc, just one piece of ethernet cable connected to both the hub and your laptop. Disable WiFi on your laptop if you can.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

sophist
Trouble shooter

are you testing the speed using a wifi connected device or an ethernet connected device?

if you haven’t yet, then you need to test with an ethernet connected device.

assuming you have checked with an ethernet connected device, then please post the stats from your hub..

browse to your hub on  http://192.168.0.1 - don't log in, click Router Status - copy/paste the tables from the Upstream, Downstream and Network Log tabs back to this thread - you'll need multiple posts for this, the info wont all fit into a single one..

spurdog11
On our wavelength
Cheers bud.
Have a direct link box to router. Router feeds to a booster (plugin), other end is beside my laptop, wi-fi, but do connect the ethernet. This is a two bedroom bungalow, not a mansion. I'll get on with the homework you set me...LOL

Hah, the password provided with the router is not functioning, no! i haven't changed it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you are connecting via a powerline booster even on short cables - speeds will be attenuated

My lad use a pair for his gaming activities in his room - he gets ~40-50 on our 200mbps service - its just physics!

Is that the case? If so go to the Hub and plug directly in with a new and known good ethernert cable and test again.

BTW - what make model of laptop are you using?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are two passwords are you using the correct "settings" one or trying the wifi one?

If doing it over wifi - try over ethernet - and use different browsers

If that doesnt work - 60 second pinhole reset the Hub and try again

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

HP Laptop 15 BS1 from memory

Speedtest.net
Ping 17
Download 27.4
Upload 10.04, via ethernet on Laptop

@spurdog11 wrote:
Speedtest.net
Ping 17
Download 27.4
Upload 10.04, via ethernet on Laptop

directly connected to teh hub, or via the powerline setup?  the test needs to be performed with a device that is directly connected..

Using the WIFI password (all connected, just on the router the password is "wrong"

Speedtest.net= with ethernet

brave = 29.75
vivaldi=26.60
opera =27.10
firefox=28.61
Edge=29.38
chrome=28.45

Broadbandspeedchecker, chrome=27.52