cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi

seanrudkin
Joining in

my wifi keeps going off and takes a couple of minutes to return. I've run a test in my hub 3 settings and it says I have a problem with my wifi

someone from virgin media please reply

cant find any other way to get in touch

thanks

Sean

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this
_______

Firstly... can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

still works on ethernet cable

I did run a test on the hub3 settings where it said there was a problem with the wifi.

Dial 150 from a virgin phone line or 0345 454 1111 else wait here till a mod replies to the post. There is also webchat.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If ethernet connectivity is good and its just wifi - see this.....

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you should first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂
To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat or Whatsapp functions (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @seanrudkin,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your WiFi connection, have you tried our WiFi help pages here

Have you rebooted or performed a pin hole reset of your hub since the issues started?

Are these issues happening at a particular time of the day or do they happen throughout the day?

Regards,

Steven_L

I have done all the things you say. 

there is no particular time of day when this happens, its irregular, 

My hub3 box is quite warm at the top but cool at the bottom, not sure if its overheating that causes it, I have turned it off all day but soon warms up when I turn it back on.

it's very frustrating when your watching something or doing research

Hi @seanrudkin

Thanks for coming back to the thread. Is the hub out of direct sunlight and nothing obstructing the vents?

Just ran a system check and no issues showing/area outages, levels all fine and no issues with SNR (signal to noise) or congestion. 

Try the Connect App - https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/connect-app - then you'll be able to do a wireless scan in the property. This will attempt to optimise the connection where possible and also if a Pod is needed, you'll be able to order.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I can be 2 feet away from the wifi router and the signal goes out, its not near any radiator or anything that can make it overheat or any metal, the app just tells me when there's no connection but I have run a test through the router itself(http://192.168.0.1/) and it says there's a problem with the wifi.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What happened when you made the changes from message 5?

--------------------
John
--------------------