cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi is so bad

cashhhhhhhh
Tuning in

here i am again for 3rd time asking if anyone can fix my stupid wifi constantly lagging out randomly just stops me from playing any online game whilst playing forcing me to be stood still until it reconnect this happens daily and has done it since the day we got the wifi even virgin media engineers dont know whats up with my wifi how can this happen. in the clip you can see where im moving about then then it lags and im standing still and i cant move 

49 REPLIES 49

i will do that now

Thank you for that cashhhhhhhh. 

Please do let us know when you are able to complete this. 

^Martin

its just frustrating how virgin media cant fix this after 6 months and they expect me to pay for wifi still when it doesn't even work correctly absolutely disgraceful i got virgin media expecting good wifi to find out its terrible 

Yeah, we know it can be frustrating dealing with VM, but if you'll go along with the suggestions we might help you get it sorted.

Before you rebooted the hub, it was reportedly running for 51 days, and over that time it has on average 8,400 uncorrectable downstream errors each day, and 11 T3 timeouts per day (plus I suspect a range of other critical problems).  A few errors are normal on a cable connection, those average numbers are not.

When you've rebooted could you leave the hub to its own devices for 12 or 24 hours and then connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.0.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots just like you did before.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

You may also want to setup a BQM over at https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

Hi cashhhhhhh, 

Thanks for sticking with us on this. 

I have taken a look at the account and can see you have since rebooted the hub. I have checked the stats on the Hub and they are all looking good. The power levels are where they need to be and the network cable you are on is looking good too. 

The WiFi side of things is showing up a capacity issue so if you haven't already done this, try separating the bands to see if this helps things. You can do this by following these steps: 

•    Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
•    Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
•    Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
•    Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) and the Wifi password (network key).
•    Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes.*
*    Make sure that both frequencies are named differently and are still identifiable

You can also try these tips and hints to optimise the WiFi as much as possible. Finally, you may also benefit from downloading the VM Connect App. You can use this to run scans to see what the issue may be. It will identify any dead spots and show you how to resolve them too.

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

gonna try this again ive had virgin wifi for a year now very appalling service tbh with the same constant lag whilst playing games the wifi doesnt come off it will just cut out for a second or few and be back causing me to die in online games this gets very frustrating ive been trying to get help for well over a year and still no help worst service ever from virgin

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cashhhhhhhh Please don't create multiple threads for the same issue, it is against the forum rules.  I have merged your threads.

My setup: VM TV 360 box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

i hope you can see where i coming from with this issue mate been dealing with it for a year engineers cant find out what the problem is happens every single day just getting on my nerves when im paying for something that isnt working correctly 🙂

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cashhhhhhhh wrote:

i hope you can see where i coming from with this issue mate been dealing with it for a year engineers cant find out what the problem is happens every single day just getting on my nerves when im paying for something that isnt working correctly 🙂

I can see and that was another reason for merging the threads.  Have you tried any of the suggestions from @Andrew-G about setting up a BQM or @Kath_F about splitting your wireless bands?

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors (Thickness of walls and building materials used within them, mirrors, fish tanks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, a neighbour's wireless router, etc.) so it is not something VM can control or guarantee.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

im connected via ethernet so wireless connection does not matter