Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

wifi drops out randomly but constantly

Hi,

Just moved house, was sent a new hub 3. took a while to connect (never just the half hour stated in the box), but was working the next day. 

WFH yesterday - wifi randomly drops out pretty regularly, made a conference call pretty impossible. i've checked all connections, disconnected the old wire from the wall and fitted the new one in case that was the issue. no apparent issues in the area according to virgin website, and on the virgin app all seems fine.

HELP. Noway I can WFH like this!

Thanks

Sophie

Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi drops out randomly but constantly

As a temporary measure can you use an ethernet cable to connect to the Hub and your device to see if you can get back to work.

Wi-Fi problems are very difficult to diagnose because they are open to interference from numerous things.

ISP provided Hubs are renowned for their poor Wi-Fi, and at the best of times Wi-Fi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as distance from the Hub,  building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring Wi-Fi, basically all sorts.

VM supply to the Hub, after the Hub it is up to you.

Many on here, myself included advocate the use of a third party Gigabit capable Wi-Fi router or Mesh system.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi drops out randomly but constantly

Good advice from Mike, but you ought to be able to get your VM equipment to work properly. Just curious as to the installation process you went through. Did you have an engineer assist you in connecting to Virgin Media? They should be checking your signal levels and that you can receive internet service with download and upload speeds meeting the terms of the contract you have agreed with VM. When VM engineers visit, they should carry out the tests and it helps to have a computer or mobile device near the Superhub so you can check on service quality.

Now, if you want to add multiple devices in other rooms, or if you want to enable multiple devices to connect at the same time, you should consider making a basic network plan. If you plan to access internet from other room or levels within your location, your service will depend on the method you choose for internal distribution of the VM service.

To be fair, Virgin Media provide the service and basic kit that will enable a single device to access the service from their installed Superhub. It is possible to enjoy good service in multiple rooms and locations using the VM kit but you need to invest some time and potentially a limited amount of money in your internal distribution infrastructure.

WiFi may work well with the VM kit but you need to be able to analyse the WiFi spectrum in your location to identify the best band and channel in order to reduce interference from any neighbours and to optimise your connection speed.  Generally, the 5Ghz band providers faster throughput, but range is more limited than the more popular 2.4 Ghz band.  For instance, I found that the Superhub worked best but i needed to change the channel width setting which you can do by logging in as an administrator. I've had VM and Blueyonder broadband services for nearly 20 years; have had a few issues with connection installation but for the most part we've gotten what we paid for. From my experience, it always helps to be constructive with the engineers when they visit; let them know what you are tying to accomplish, and if they do a good job, please provide feedback to Virgin Media.

David Smith, Computer Science Teacher, England, Secondary, Putting legacy devices to good use, Linux Mint, Smart router with hybrid wifi and Homeplug AV2 distribution, Blueyonder pioneer (2001),
0 Kudos