Menu
Highlighted
Brian25a
Tuning in
Message 1 of 45
Flag for a moderator

wifi dropping out

This problem started a week ago although I have had this hub for some years without problem. I can now only use the Wi-Fi by toggling between 5g and 2g and then it works for a couple of searches then freezes again . I have made four calls to virgin and had " the channel changed" ; "a roving channel to pick the optimum signal"  ; the router remotely rebooted several times and the last call I was told there was nothing wrong so nothing could be done because the equipment is showing as working ok  except to send me several explanatory emails. on how to optimise Wi-Fi. I changed the router password and the Wi-Fi password because of some advice that was given but that did nothing. .I  see that someone suggested adding another router and making the hub modem only.  Is this the  best way forward. as virgin do not seem able to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
Brian25a
Tuning in
Message 2 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi dropping out

Sorry should have added that I use a Super hub 2

Brian25a
Tuning in
Message 3 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I called virgin again. I told them that I had moved the router to the lounge where my devices are used and within 6 feet of the router   and it made no difference .During this one call I was transferred in succession to two technical advisors , then to a customer advisor, then to another technical advisor, to customer services again and finally to another technical advisor. The outcome was that I was offered an upgrade to a super hub 3 for a payment of £25 . I refused to pay and once again the router channel was changed and again the WiFi worked for 10 minutes after the call finished . I have the same problems.Any advice.? 

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 45
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

First of all I would check the actual internet connection with a device directly connected to the Hub, wireless is too complex to test the connection reliably as it is affected by many external factors like client capability, range, interference, the number of connected devices and the topography of your home.

If the wired connection is stable and providing headline speeds then it looks like a purely wireless problem.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

Whilst changing the wireless channel can help tremendously, the offshore agent can only take a guess at the best channel as they will have no idea of your wireless environment from their remote location. setting, Wireless environments are dynamic so the best channel at the time may not be the best channel in the future.

Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.
Bear in mind that the wifi scanner will not show interference from other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference.

The 5Ghz band is wider with non-overlapping channels so less be more stable providing you have 5Ghz capable clients although it does have a shorter range.

At the end of the day the Hubs like many ISP's standard kit is basic entry level stuff and a decent third party router would provide a better overall coverage, but whether it will completely resolve your wireless problems will depend on many factors like your wireless environment.

0 Kudos
Brian25a
Tuning in
Message 5 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Griffin,

Ive taken on board your advice. I have moved the router once again but it did not alter anything.

I didn’t realise until I was told several times by virgin technicians that their only responsibility is to provide a broadband supply and WiFi isn’t part of my contract.  They won’t accept that all worked ok for a very long time until a week ago.

I’m now considering adding an extender in the hopes that it will improve things. 

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 45
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am afraid that the things worked before argument doesn't hold much water as the Docsis and wireless environments are dynamic, thing change. The trick is to find what has changed.

Did you test wired?if so, I would still wait until a VM Forum Team member checks out your local circuit first before shelling out on new kit.

Wireless environments can be volatile, all it takes is a new baby monitor next door or a Toyota Prius parking outside to interfere with your wireless signal.
Wireless hardware, and ethernet cables can develop faults, in the wireless cases the Wireless scanner can be very useful, informing you of new wireless networks in the area and showing you received wireless signal strengths at various locations. Also handy for testing the Hub's wireless output, you should be getting around -23dBm at 1m away from the Hub.

I would be wary of wireless repeater "boosters" as at best need very careful placing to get them to work effectively and will halve your wireless speeds straight off the bat due to the half duplex nature of wireless.

Getting another router or wireless access point wired back to the Hub would be the most robust way to go. or wireless powerline adapters are fairly good at providing wireless in hard to reach places. The router will give you more versatility than the WAPs  as you can try putting the Hub into modem mode to see if that resolves the wireless problems, it will also give you more featurs and you can always fall back to putting it into access point mode.

0 Kudos
code333328
Joining in
Message 7 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Hi Griffin,

We are experiencing exactly the same issues. Great surfing for a year but we started to experience problems 8 days ago and like you, after calling Virgin every day for the past six days only to be told everything their end is fine.

Originally it was suggested that the booster plugins I have been running for 6 month or more were giving issues but switching them off has not changed anything.

Like you switching between 2 and 5g does have some very short term impact but at this moment and for the past week the wifi is unusable.

We have not changed anything in our home network so we are at a loss to understand what the issue may be.

I recently changed the channel and Virgin suggestion but on calling to complain about the continual poor quality I was told I should not have done this and that Virgin would restore it to auto.

Up until a week ago I was vey happy with our super fast bb but right now it doesn't work and I don't know how to progress.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am getting stone walled by Virgin.

Thanks in hope!

0 Kudos
aeronk
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 45
Flag for a moderator

These problems sound  very much like the problem many have had after updating an IOS device (iPhone or iPad) to IOS 11.4.1.

0 Kudos
jaybee192
Tuning in
Message 9 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I’ve had similar problems this week. I came home from work Wednesday evening and was told by my wife that there had been no broadband since 12.30 that day. Rebooted the router (Superhub 3) but still no joy after that. Phoned VM and after various attempts to fix the problem I was told an engineer was required.  Booked in for a visit this morning but then strangely at about 9am I was able to connect OK on my iPhone & Ipad although my wife still couldn’t on her similar devices. There was also no connection on my PC which was linked to the hub via Ethernet cable nor to my YouView box.  Engineer came and said the hub was ok and on disconnecting the Ethernet cables from the  hub, the PC connected ok via WiFi. My iPhone & IPad were  still ok and my wife’s devices were then ok. Engineer said there must be a problem with one of the Ethernet cables so told me to connect each one at a time and leave it in to see if at some point the WiFi went. He the left as it wasn’t a hub problem. 

A little later I got a call from Customer Services asking how the visit went. Explained the situation as since then the connection kept dropping in and out on my wife’s devices. The engineer was told to call back and on that visit he logged onto the hub and created separate 2g and 5g network names by adding ‘2g’ and ‘5g’ to the end of the ‘original’ network name. Having then connected to the ‘2g’ network, all has been fine since then with everything working as it should. The engineer did say that updates had been rolling out to hubs recently and so it appears that has caused problems depending on the device, its software etc.

Hope that’s of some help.

0 Kudos
code333328
Joining in
Message 10 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jaynee192,

Good to understand, we are not alone.!

I wouldn’t say I was technically capable but I can do some basics.

From your message I guess I need to wait, possibly for BM’s software to catch up!!!

Haven’t had an Engineer our (as VM side is fine) so assume it’s just a waiting game.......unless anyone knows how to accelerate VM’s response..?

0 Kudos