cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi connected, but no internet

TEMPESTWILL
Tuning in

Hi,

Having an issue with some wireless devices saying they are connected but have no internet access whilst having a mostly full signal. for instance, my phone and pc will both be on wifi in the same room, but my pc will say no internet access whilst my phone is working. I have run a cable through my house and switched my PC to a wired connection and this no longer has any issues, but any wifi devices randomly drop onto connected but no internet daily and this is only fixed by resetting the wifi connection.

I have spoken to customer services but every time the operator tries a few things then pass me to a new operator and I have to start all over again asking me to reset it and try wired connections etc which is driving me crazy.I

have used the online test and no issues where found, I have also factory reset the router but this made no difference.

Could it be my hub is faulty? 

Many thanks for reading this

Will

142 REPLIES 142

Shahzadp
Joining in

I have been having this issue for months. Reset my hub and called customer services a couple of times but they told me I must have too many things connected and seemed not to believe me. It is ridiculous. Can someone at virgin please help. I am not comfortable changing the settings on my hub.

Hi Shahzadp,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you've been having some issues with your connection.

Looking at things from our side everything looks to be within the specifications we would expect.

Have you tried disconnecting some devices from the WiFi? Are you able to move any over to an Ethernet connection?

Alex_Rm

So I have called today and have been told that my Hub 3 is the best hub you have but because I have c25 devices connected this is causing the issue. I tried to raise a complaint but was told I couldn't. 

I can not connect my devices by ethernet. 

How many devices does the hub 3 allow to connext on WiFi. 

This is becoming a real problem for me.

Please can you also arrange for my boosters to be sent as I am a Volt customer.

Good Morning @Shahzadp, thanks for coming back to us

There isn't a limit to how many devices you can have connected, however depending on the level of usage could create a problem

For example if all devices are simply used for browsing, you'd be able to accommodate more devices. If though, you were to have devices that are sending and receiving large files, this could take up more bandwidth and ultimately create a slower and less enjoyable experience on other devices.

We would advise that any devices close to the hub and can be connected via an Ethernet cable, would be best placed on a Cat 6 or above cable - this will lessen the strain on the Wi-Fi services, and create less traffic - thus giving you a better service.

Do you have any devices close to the hub currently, and if so, can you advise me what they are?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Most of my devices need to be connected by WiFi. I have downloaded the virgin connect app which tells me that I have between 12-19 devices connected. The only device I have connected by ethernet is a hub for my smart lights (I have no other devices close to the hub). 

My devices include -

some smart speakers (3), smart lights (these have their own hub which is connected by ethernet), smart cameras (3), a smart thermostat, phones/tablets (6), laptops (3), games consoles (2) and TVs (2).

Hi @Shahzadp

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about your issue, potentially there is some devices which can take up a significant amount of bandwidth and could create an issue when all being used at once. If you can get as many as you possibly can connected via ethernet this would free up space for the other devices.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi....my booster is free, but I did have to nag them to remove charges. 

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi TeDDy1959,

Sorry to hear you had to chase things up so we have the charges for your booster waived off. We understand how this can be inconvenient, this is not the experience we want from our customers.

I will take it that this problem has now been resolved.
Could you please confirm whether there's any more issues with your WiFi coverage or our services in general and if you need more help with your booster or your account with us?

Is there anything we can do for you, today? Let us know so we can assist.

Thanks

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

T4nky
Joining in

Hi
Having the same issue. Have rebooted, restarted. No change. Spoke to customer services and no change…help only have around 9 wifi devices connected.
have the pods, but if no internet connectivity then what’s the point. Can’t use any catch up tv services.
Thanks

Tanky 

Hi T4nky,

Thanks for your post, welcome to the Community Forums!

I'm sorry to hear you've been facing similar issues with your broadband connection. It appears that there was a known outage in your area which was impacting your services, however this was marked as fixed as of yesterday. Can you please let us  know if you are still facing issues? We'll be happy to help further.

Kind regards

Beth