cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi connected, but no internet

TEMPESTWILL
Tuning in

Hi,

Having an issue with some wireless devices saying they are connected but have no internet access whilst having a mostly full signal. for instance, my phone and pc will both be on wifi in the same room, but my pc will say no internet access whilst my phone is working. I have run a cable through my house and switched my PC to a wired connection and this no longer has any issues, but any wifi devices randomly drop onto connected but no internet daily and this is only fixed by resetting the wifi connection.

I have spoken to customer services but every time the operator tries a few things then pass me to a new operator and I have to start all over again asking me to reset it and try wired connections etc which is driving me crazy.I

have used the online test and no issues where found, I have also factory reset the router but this made no difference.

Could it be my hub is faulty? 

Many thanks for reading this

Will

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi TEMPESTWILL,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. My apologies for the broadband issues. We do need a tech visit to the property to sort this out after I've ran a background check. I'll PM you now to arrange this.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

142 REPLIES 142

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you have the Hub3, try this.

Go into the Hub3 settings. Type in http://192.168.0.1 into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless>smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box and save settings. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.

Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.

You can also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of the 3 non-overlapping channels (numbers 1,6,11) that is least so.

See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back or do another "factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi TEMPESTWILL,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. My apologies for the broadband issues. We do need a tech visit to the property to sort this out after I've ran a background check. I'll PM you now to arrange this.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

thanks for your reply! an engineer arrived before i could check this post and replaced my hub 🙂

Glad to hear all sorted 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi

I have exactly the same issue as this one. Please help.

We have several devices connected to the Hub. Every day at present one or more of these devices will lose their internet connectivity, occasionally all of them. We are having to switch the Hub off and on numerous times a week, sometimes several times a day. It can take two resets, lasting 15 - 20 minutes in total, to regain connectivity. This has been going on for many weeks now and appears to be a problem with the Hub, rather than anything else.

I do not want to go through the pain of calling the helpdesk or attempting any highly technical config changes to the router and networks.

Please could you arrange to send round an engineer?

Thanks

Chris

angeldust1
Tuning in

Same issue here too.

Customer helpline no help at all.

Could someone please get in touch to help?

MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta

@Pegler wrote:

Hi

I have exactly the same issue as this one. Please help.

We have several devices connected to the Hub. Every day at present one or more of these devices will lose their internet connectivity, occasionally all of them. We are having to switch the Hub off and on numerous times a week, sometimes several times a day. It can take two resets, lasting 15 - 20 minutes in total, to regain connectivity. This has been going on for many weeks now and appears to be a problem with the Hub, rather than anything else.

I do not want to go through the pain of calling the helpdesk or attempting any highly technical config changes to the router and networks.

Please could you arrange to send round an engineer?

Thanks

Chris

You would be as well starting your own thread if you are looking for assistance.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

@angeldust1 wrote:

Same issue here too.

Customer helpline no help at all.

Could someone please get in touch to help?

You would be as well starting your own thread if you are looking for assistance.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

I did a couple of days ago - its been ignored so far