Menu
mut2ley
Joining in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

wifi comes and goes on phones and lap top

I saw the announcement about there being a problem with superhub 2 and wifi connection to android devices. however, i do not understand how one fixes this through the play store fix as recommended. Can someone advise a tech idiot what to do, as my phone and laptop only connect to wifi every now and then.

Regards nils

0 Kudos
Moderator (Retired) Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: wifi comes and goes on phones and lap top

Hi mut2ley,

Thanks for getting in touch, sorry to hear of the WiFi issues though am not aware of any specific SH2 and android problems, there was an issue with IOS devices though this has since been resolved with the latest IOS update.

Just to rule any wider issue is just just the wireless connection that drops or are there drop outs on ethernet too?

If you haven't done so already some users find that separating the 2.4 an 5Ghz bands on different named SSIDs helps.

You can find further information on how to access the WiFi settings on the Hub in our guide here

Hope this helps, let us know if problems persist and well gladly assist further.

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
mut2ley
Joining in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ralph,

Ty for replying. It is both the wifi and internet. I think I tried the seperation thing some time ago but it didn't work. I am not tech savvy either.

We had a total outage for 3 weeks and have just got it back when the weird stuff happens again yesterday. We have a mac, a pc, two laptops and 3 android phones but not all connected all the time. Sometimes it all works, sometimes none, sometimes all the other combinations. last night i turned off a laptop and that made everything else turn off, bar the pc, wth. Today no internet through the pc and ethernet cable, and two out of 3 phones wouldn't connect. It is really hard to know what to do as when i ring up, if it is the call centre in India, you might as well not bother as they will tell you the first thing that comes into their head,  with rare exceptions.

I have a daughter who needs to be connected as she has just started uni and a wife who tries to work from home but can't because of all the faults. Virgin are driving me nuts and refuse to talk sensibly to me. I have been given a month free for the major outage but was offered £8 for all the time i spent on the phone, the lies I was told by the call centre, the broken fix date promises and all the major inconvenience and stress this causes for all my family.

Sorry to unload all this on you Ralph but i am going to have a nervous breakdown if I can't get this fixed.

0 Kudos
mut2ley
Joining in
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi, i keep getting sent emails saying someone has responded but nobody has.

Help please.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi mut2ley,

Thanks for posting back here.

When I checked your connection, there have been no time-outs reported within 24 hours of the router being online.

Is the router left on at all times?

Do you notice any of the lights change on the router when the internet disconnects? If you can post the network log from the router settings that would be helpful. To do this type in 192.168.0.1 in the address bar, no need to sign in and click into Router Status in the middle. Within here you will have downstream, upstream and network log and you can copy and paste this information.

I want to help as much as I can to get this resolved for you.

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
mut2ley
Joining in
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha,

Thank you for replying so quickly, really appreciated.

Sorry to be long winded but here is the story:

A new engineer came round on saturday. He gave me a stark choice: I either consent to change to a Hub3 or he would leave. I said that I had read very bad things about the Hub 3 and he said yes the reconditioned ones were awful. ( So why did Virgin make people have them?) He gauranteed that mine would be new. Against my gut instinct I agreed, as I figured, if he left, then i was never going to get resolution. He had difficulty in getting things to work. He said that my ethernet cable was useless and faulty and so I didn't need it. I am no techie but I expressed fear that if the wifi was dodgy then I wouldn't have the cable as back up. It won't be, he reassured. He still couldn't  get things working properly and went out to check my other router that is connected by a long cable to the furthest part of the house. He said that it must be this router that was causing problems and that I should buy another one and that I must lose the internet in this room if it is to work elsewhere. How he made this diagnosis by just looking at it from a distance, when it had worked for years is remarkable. We have a foreign exchange student staying in that room, who needs the internet I told him, and that the one place it nearly always works is there. I reluctantly agreed to turn his connection off. Ok, so all seemed to be ok in the rest of the house, until we got the same problems but now worse. Speed was down to 23mbs, when it was working and often it lost all connection. I rang customer service to be told to plug in the ethernet cable. I reported that the engineer said it was useless and we didn't need it, but she insisted. Hey presto things worked, so it seems he was economical with the truth. It only worked for a while though, we have had the same problems again but the speed went up when it was working. I was told they would monitor what was happening with connection and speeds, as a new hub can have teething problems, ok i'll buy that.

I know it must be difficult to deal with tech idiots like myself and perhaps your engineer tried to simplify complicated issues by tellign small untruths. But, when I caught him out about the internet cable lie, (he said that it was the plugged in cable that was causing a problem, and I said how can a broken cable cause a problem if it is irrelevant if it is in or out if it doesnt work) he said that he had had enough, he was off. He made it abundantly clear that he was in a huge hurry to be at the next job throughout the whole period he was here. When my wife asked a small question, she was met with a huge sigh of annoyance.He unwittingly gave the distinct impression that there was something in it for him if he could get me to take the new hub against my wishes.

The situation now is this, sorry it is very complicated:

• When I plug the short yellow ethernet cable in to Hub 3 nearly evrything seems to work ok, my PC, and the wifi in the house, except for the very furthest room where the student sleeps
  • When i plug in the long ethernet cable to the students room and the yellow cable is OUT, everything works in the students room but the PC works for a short while before dropping out but the other devices usually work on wifi alone. so it seems to affect the PC only
  • When i plug in the long ethernet cable to the students room and the yellow cable is IN then everything works in students room but the PC  works only for a while before dropping. The wifi on other devices does work. If i then take the yellow cable out the PC doesn't work and the only way to get it to work is to take the long cable out and put the yellow one back in.
  • when all cables are out then I get no connection on PC but wifi devices work except to the students room

I will post the screenshot that you asked for in a bit, I have to go out for a bit. Please bear with me on this Samantha, thanks.

Nils

0 Kudos
mut2ley
Joining in
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samantha,

I am entering my password to the http://192.168.0.1/ sign in and it is saying I am entering the wrong password, which i am definitely not as you can see from the pic below. Help!!!

password fail.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Don't enter the password just click on "Router status"

Dave

"The late great Douglas Adams: A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
0 Kudos
mut2ley
Joining in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave, it sadly doesn't give me that option, only

0 Kudos
mut2ley
Joining in
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator