Menu
Bablefish2
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

wifi Signal keeps dropping out

I have a superhub 2 and the wifi signal keeps dropping out.

I can see the signal going from full to nothing.  1 min its a full strong signal -45 dBm, next there is no signal at all. and it just keeps coming and going.

I also have a second wifi extender which has a wired connection to the hub, this signal remains constant throughout.

There are only 3 wifi signals that I receive, my 2 networks and a neighbours, there is no interference.

I have tried resetting the hub, changing the channel and also moving the wifi on the router to the secondary channel.

VM have apparently run a test and could not find anything wrong, they say its because I too many devices connected ( about 20), this is just nonsense.

Does anyone have any ideas why the router keeps dropping the wifi signal

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi Signal keeps dropping out

Is the connection on a device connected by ethernet cable dropping at the same time?  It is important to know that because if it isn't it suggests there may be a problem with the SH2 wifi components rather than with your network connection.  If they both go down it could still be a faulty Hub but also could be a fault on your connection.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Bablefish2
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

it is only the wifi from the router that is dropping.

anything connected by ethernet appears to be fine.

I also have a wireless access point, in another part of the house which is connected by ethernet.  I am now having to use that as the signal from the hub is so unreliable.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Bablefish2 wrote:

<snip>

VM have apparently run a test and could not find anything wrong, they say its because I too many devices connected ( about 20), this is just nonsense. 

I suspect there may be an element of truth in that statement.  VM Hubs are built to a cost and with +20 devices, you could be overloading the router.  If you temporally turn off some of the devices,  does it help ?

If so, you should invest in a good Router and just run the Hub in Modem mode. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Bablefish2 wrote:

it is only the wifi from the router that is dropping.

anything connected by ethernet appears to be fine.

I also have a wireless access point, in another part of the house which is connected by ethernet.  I am now having to use that as the signal from the hub is so unreliable.

Good advice from Adduxi - put it in modem mode and get a good wifi router next to the Hub.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Bablefish2
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

any recommendations for a good wifi router..........

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Depends on your budget and what additional features you want in the router?  Just make sure its a cable router and not ADSL.

--------------------
0 Kudos
Bablefish2
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Eventually Virgin Tech has replaced the router and everything is fine
0 Kudos