Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi Keeps cutting off

old_grey_grumpy
Joining in

First post so be gentle

I am on superhub 4 500 mb connection 

My wife is classed as disabled so I have over a time purchased  smart plugs to make life easier for her.

with sky q (multi room ) tvs , amazon shows, iPads pcs ect it adds up to to 22 items everything keeps going to the 2 ghz I have spent many hours on phone without luck just frustration even being told I need to be on 1gig connection the booster works when it wants and I now feel I have been miss sold contract as not fit for purpose as every time it boots sky q she has to wait till I get home to set it back up. 

Any help would be welcome 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
3 of my mates use the Deco M5's and rave over them. Note there is a sequence to connect them for optimum performance - its below - so they arent all at max speeds try it again as below

First, set up your "first" M5 unit (in its settings) to have with the WAN port set to be in Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be set that way anyway.

Then, disconnect all cables from all Mesh unit and switch them off and unplug them.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )

... and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Now switch the first M5 on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can I check... do you have any device connected on an ethernet cable directly into the Hub - and do they work ok ?  If they have issues too - report back here.

If they do work ok though, then the "intelligent" wifi in the Hub4 is a bit of a misnomer to me. So you should try switching it off as per the below and see if that sorts it out for you

But if it doesnt TBH if I were in your situation I would scrap the whole VM wifi and put the Hub into modem mode and get your own better quality equipment. Look at the TP-Link Deco S4/M4/M5 systems as an indication of what is possible

If you haven't done this already - try it first - it helps sort some Hub3/4/5 wifi issues for some devices.

Go into the Hub’s settings. Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it). Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types

Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - Oldgrey_2 & Oldgrey_5) Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want each device to connect to… individually from the "available networks" list on each of your devices. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

See if these changes help - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter as your devices may well do that for you (my Apple gear does) and you can always change the settings back by doing a " pinhole factory reset " if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey old_grey_grumpy, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear you've been having some connection problems.

I have taken a look on our side and I can see you have been in contact with the team who have organised a engineer to come out and take a look at this.

Please can you let me know how this visit goes. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

thank you matt
as you can fully understand when you have a partner with medical problems. who cant even watch tv in bed when it drops and has to wait till I get home to reset everything

Matt
the engineer has been and said the booster I have got is no use. and what I need is a mesh system

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Thats something you would have to buy for yourself.

Are you prepared to do that? If so see this post I made some time ago as background info

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to improve your wifi - is to just to connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables.

However, those averse to running cables would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables.  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing for getting speeds over 600 mbps on wifi.

Another option is to extend the ethernet connections (and wifi) via powerline adaptors - they work well for lots of people - including for my "gaming son" in his bedroom and they can be "cheap and cheerful".

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6) but 'may' not on its own solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

old_grey_grumpy
Joining in

Well ive had a Visit from engineer. he pointed out the wifi booster I had was not fit for purpose and I needed a Mesh system.

Resolutions phoned me back and agreed ...now the good part ..we can make it work for you if you pay more money .

So im left with a internet system for my wife that is no fit for purpose in the house I live in and if I dont like it they will send a deadlock letter . they wont let me speak to a manager with the normal excuse their not in today .

What's happening to VM do they no longer want customers to stay ....they are no longer the only kid on the block with fast speeds 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM can not "guarantee" it - in fact as its wifi - no-one can - if you live in a Faraday cage for example.

Its your call - but if any of my family members were "dependent" on wifi connections I wouldnt be leaving it to VM to sort out - or any other BB provider for that matter. I decided that in 2001 with my own Apple Airport router - and I have never had a single wifi only issue in that time.

Even the VM Tech said you need a Mesh - and the Pods are VM's answer to that - you can give them a go at £5/month and ought to work - or just get your own for a proper/better/cheaper long term -  solution.

For a flavour of what <£100 (= 20 months of Pod hire) will get you - just peruse the info in this link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M4-Seamless-Coverage-Replacement/dp/B07NH1J543/

--------------------
John
--------------------

Well at my own expense I purchased the Tp Link Mesh Deco M5

Have noticed the difference already .

Totally lost faith with VM customer service. That seems more interested in only helping you if your willing to pay more money .

Looks like city fibre will be getting my money when contract ends 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
3 of my mates use the Deco M5's and rave over them. Note there is a sequence to connect them for optimum performance - its below - so they arent all at max speeds try it again as below

First, set up your "first" M5 unit (in its settings) to have with the WAN port set to be in Dynamic/Automatic IP or DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be set that way anyway.

Then, disconnect all cables from all Mesh unit and switch them off and unplug them.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )

... and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Now switch the first M5 on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------