Menu
ask-me
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

why on earth ?

hi guys suddenly we go tan email telling us VM had been into our router and changed some wifi settings !

previously over the time we have been with VM we have honed our router to work very well except from the rubbish wifi range (which has not even changed) .

Having looked at the wifi set up within the Routers ui i can see they have switched all the operator settings off and set it all to automatic ,as said previously we had it set to our requirements having looked at used channels near by and setting our channel to less active frequencies .... VM step in and set it all to auto and completely gaffed it up ! thanks guys ,The way out of it is simple select manual in the settings and select your channels which are with the use of an app for your phones freely available find unused channels on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies ,the 5ghz can go very high in frequency into DFS channels meaning they can be used by radar ,my home being a long way from any marine or air radar im OK but note if you are by the coast or a large airfield dont go there as your signal will be knocked out by radar not mentioning possibly interfering with the radar too !.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: why on earth ?

They have not "been into your router"
they have done a firmware upgrade. You can't stop it.

you can't see the best channel you can only see the number of networks and what channels they use. You can;t see the utilization of the channels or what over non wifi devices might be using that channel.

If you want to stop firmware upgrades you can get your on router. Any firmware upgrade on the hun then won't change your own router settings

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What’s the question here?

Its their kit and they can update it as they wish to. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
JohnEdwards
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm looking for a full explanation of the changes applied, rather than the oversimplification of the email.

Any idea where I can find it?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@JohnEdwards wrote:

I'm looking for a full explanation of the changes applied, rather than the oversimplification of the email.

Any idea where I can find it?

Explanation of what?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

they don't have to disclose that info the device is there's so they can update it as they need.

Just like that can update the CMTS without telling anyone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JohnEdwards
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

OK - I've found it in another thread:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/We-ve-upgraded-your-home-WiFi/td-p/4621789
It seems to contain a rather fuller discussion of the merits of the changes.
0 Kudos