Menu
kushmonster
Joining in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

websites being rerouted through various countries

Hi, I'll try and be concise.

Been trying to watch programmes on BBC IPlayer, ITV Player etc....which wont allow me as it states that I need to be in the UK to watch, which I am.

I have a Chrome extention which indicates via a flag on toolbar, where any particular server is. They all indicate various countries (which I know is possible) but then it stops me watching/accessing content that is region restricted.

Any ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: websites being rerouted through various countries

have you tried a different browser without any third party extensions? just to rule out those?
are you using a VPN at all?
kushmonster
Joining in
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Yes, Ive disabled all extentions, including VPN's. Operate Mac, Win 10, Linux, 2 Android devices all with the same issue.

0 Kudos
loonytoon1982
Tuning in
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Same here but it's not device specific, this happens on all my TVs, phones, tablets and consoles.

Annoyingly; the only way to bypass the fact that it tells me that I'm using a VPN when I'm not, is to actually use a VPN to access UK based content.

This only started to happen about 2 days ago as well, sitting watching something that started to buffer, so refreshed the page to find similar messages.

MaxthonSnap20191103182532.png

MaxthonSnap20191105111959.png

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi LoonyToon1982 & Kushmonster,

Thanks for both your posts, I can see how this is confusing you as it seems you've done mostly everything to get around it. 

In terms of what Chenks said, you mentioned you disabled extensions and VPN's, but have you tried using a different browser? Let me know if that helps. 

Also, are you using our own router or a third party device? 

I'll try to help as much as I can however it might not be an issue from our side, let me know about those two aspects though. 

Kindest regards, 

Megan_L

0 Kudos
loonytoon1982
Tuning in
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

Just to make it much more confusing, I'm not using a VPN and this happens over a total of 12 different devices I've tried it on.

So use of a VPN, extensions and different browsers can be ruled out.

My DNS is automatically set to the Virgin Media defaults of 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100.

However I have also manually set them to no avail. I have also tried Google DNS 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 and OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220.

My IP lookup on multiple sources all link to the UK. 

Using the SuperHub 3.0, have done a standard reboot, left it off overnight and a pinhole reset, all to no avail.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Can I confirm if in your case It's all apps or just the iplayer? 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
loonytoon1982
Tuning in
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

All apps.

BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, ITV Player, All 4, Demand 5, Sky and Now TV are all affected. 

Netflix works a majority of the time but can also be temperamental and flags up as a VPN or Proxy. 

TV Player works for live streams but catch up is a no go.

cje85
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Does this website correctly show your ISP as Virgin Media, with a UK location?

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

0 Kudos
loonytoon1982
Tuning in
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

It seems to be working for now.

I had been checking the BBC homepage on my phone and noticed it didn't redirect me to BBC.com. I then tried Amazon which didn't flag up the VPN message, BBC and ITV are also working.

I'll take it with caution to see how it goes over the next few days but hopefully it's an issue that has been rectified for others too.
0 Kudos