cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

third party router with wifi booster

ShoesU
Tuning in

i had to purchase a third party router due to the shocking service using the hub provided...am i able to connect my vm wifi boosters into this also and will there be any impact on speed/reliability

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you mean their old boosters or the new "Pods"?

In which case it is... Yes... and ...No

Old boosters should sill work after resetting/pairing '(I think!) - but Pods only work with the Hub in "normal" mode

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

yes ive got the old boosters

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK. If you search this forum you will come across a worrying number of threads reporting where old VM boosters have spontaneously burst into flames ! These have gone down routes of reporting to trading standards and legal challenges .... I think for peace of mind I would just bin them and replace them with something better 🙂  They do attenuate speeds quite considerably.   There are better options out there

But what make/model of wireless router do you have? Are you ok with running ethernet cables around your property or not?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

just brought one of the flash wifi 6 tp link ones the ax series? only one ethernet cable going into sky stream puck

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
So what is the problem you want to solve? Does that router not provide good whole home wifi coverage on its own? If not just get one or two TP-Link One-Mesh devices...

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/onemesh/product-list/#wi-fi-routers

--------------------
John
--------------------