cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

superhub upgrade

Whirlybird1
Tuning in

hi I have been having problems with my wifi on superhub 2 so rang virgin they did a test and said if it wasnt any better after 24hrs contact them which after several 1 hour waits talked to someone about an upgrade to the superhub 3 told they could not do that and gave me a 03330005925 number which turned out to be a utility only number I am lost as to what to do and am seriously thinking of leaving them after over 20 years can anyone help please ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Whirlybird1 wrote:

hi the engineer came out and fixed the problem he also said that a wifi booster might help for downstairs and said it was free for just to have one.

so rang up to be told it would be £5 per month is this right or wrong thank you.

john

Depends on the package you are on.

If they are free then by all means try them - if you need to pay the monthly rental for them, then that's not financially viable and you'd do better getting your own equipment you would outright own.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If the SH2 wifi is faulty then it should be reported as a fault - dont go into discussions with CS agents about wanting an upgrade - it will get you no-where.

Is it actually "faulty" as you havent said what the wifi issues are that you are having

Try the calling in as faulty route - bear in mind they CS agents may not "see" any wifi issues that you are experiencing when you call in and so will just fob you off with lines like "I have sent a signal to it see if its better in 24h" - that gets you off the phone quickly and they can move on

Also if it is actually faulty - they could just replace it with a refurbished SH2.

Describe the issues you are having with the SH2 (I still use it!) and you will get some sensible suggestions as to how to fix it and improve the connection or wifi - if that includes replacing the Hub because it is faulty we can help with that

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your quick reply my problem is now using my tablet the WiFi is really slow someone told me a tp link router connected to the modem might help but that's more expense cheers

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What make/model of tablet is it?

Is it connecting on the 2.4 or 5 GHz SSID? The 5 will always be faster - but the 2.4 has the better "range" and some simple devices only have 2.4 connectivity.

Also what BB package speed are you on?

Have you any other wifi devices that you are running - do they have the same issues ?

If not can you "borrow" one (family, friend, neighbour) just to test it?

My SH2 is in modem mode with my own router (Apple) - TP-Link are a good brand and reasonably priced. e.g...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-A7-Wireless-Combined-Supports/dp/B00416PTDW/

Or if in a large rambling property - pay a bit more for a Mesh unit like their M4/M5 2 or 3 packs

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand Or if in a large rambling property - pay a bit more for a Mesh unit like their M4/M5 2 or 3 packs

I don't think people have to live in a large rambling property to benefit from a mesh system - a two pack Deco M4 for £70 is a sound bet for a standard mid sized two floor house.   

@Whirlybird1 Are you 100% sure this is wifi, or does it/could it affect devices with wired connections?

My allowance is 100 mb and the tablet is a samsung galaxy a7 lite my router is only set on 2.4 as when I set up alexa it wouldn't work with the 5.7 switched on alexa and tablet are the only thing I use with WiFi to be honest alexa works pretty well !

Hi Whirlybird1, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with your connection and the Hub disconnecting. 

Taking a look at our systems, it looks as though the hub is having an issue with it's power levels. These are a little too high and we need to get them adjusted back to optimal levels. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Whirlybird1, 

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you another message to pass data protection and then confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the fault as not being caused by our network/equipment 
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I have not received any notifications ??

hi the engineer came out and fixed the problem he also said that a wifi booster might help for downstairs and said it was free for just to have one.

so rang up to be told it would be £5 per month is this right or wrong thank you.

john