cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

superhub 3 wont work with the Asus RT-AC86U router

JJDVM
Joining in

Just bought a new ASUS router to connect to the super hub 3 in modem mode. When all setup the internet access on the hub was denied. I spoke to customer services and they told me that router would not work. I have heard of other people using more powerful routers to increase their wifi signal so I don't understand why mine wont work.

21 REPLIES 21

lobsters15
On our wavelength

I have just been upgraded to the Hub3 and I too am thinking of doing what you did. Have you noticed a big improvement using the ASus router compared to using the router on the Hub3?

Sorry for the very late reply

To answer your question yes I do notice a difference. I mainly bought this to boost connectivity while gaming and before I used to get sudden lag spikes, but since I got this new router it’s all smooth and playable now so I’m happy with it 🙂

Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JJDVM, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am glad to see things are looking better for you now. 

If you need any further help in the future we will be happy to take a look for you. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Guys 

I just bought a 86u and conncetd it to my hub3. 0

After three hours of trying, the hub after going into modem mode was not connecting to the Asus. I even tried connecting to the hub directly via ethernet on my laptop and all I was getting was intermittent connection to the hub main page. 

Spebt 68minutes on the phone with support and all they could advise was that I keep using the hub. The hub now is in router mode, I can connect to WiFi but have no Internet. There is only intermittent ethernet access on my laptop. Sometimes when I restart the hub and my pc I get Internet via ethernet but the Asus is still giving an error which is "dhcp issue with modem"

Virgin will send a new hub next week, can anyone help on the interim or is the hub a brick? 

Good Morning Khankilla,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Do please install the new hub that's being delivered to you, to see if this will resolve the issue for you. If you still have problems after our replacement hub has been installed then come back to us and either I or one of my team look into this further you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hello,

I also have just bought this router but cannot get it to setup, how do I do it please?

Connect a PC to the Asus yellow ports and the blue port to the hub with the hub in router mode your PC should be able to have internet and connect to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.100.1 to change to modem mode then give it 5mins and you should have internet.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure the virgin media hub is on Modem mode. Turn the router and modem off. Connect the router to the modem while off. Power up the router first. Once the router is fully powered turn on the modem. The modem should detect the router.

Was a while ago but this worked for me hope it helps.                                               

Will this fix the "your ISP DHCP isnt working correctly" message?

Cheers

@BTurner2898 wrote:

Will this fix the "your ISP DHCP isnt working correctly" message?

Cheers

Something from previous posts you could try having a look at for this issue (unconfirmed as to whether it offered any long term solution or not!)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Hub-3-and-mesh-systems/m-p/4350884#M309400