Menu
Highlighted
kilohotel77
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

superhub 3 wifi dropping and garbage tech support

Hi 

really frustrated with constant signal dropout on my superhub 3, on all wireless devices in the house.  Tried everything within my powers - manual channel change, manual soft and hard reboots, the works.  

Called tech support and explained that it's so constant and obstructive I want the router replaced.  tech support basically mugged me off; call centre in india and I can't understand what the lady is saying.  this is absolutely not a reflection of my personal politics - I am as open minded as it's possible to be but if I am having tech issues I want to be able to communicate with someone who understands me and I understand them when we speak to each other?  My hearing's not great and I had to ask the lady to repeat everything she said 5 times, she probably thinks I am some kind of small minded racist but I genuinely couldn't understand her when she was speaking to me.  

"it's a distance or interference problem" they say as I can't connect to the device from my phone … whilst holding my phone next to the router.  "ok, we will replace it but you gotta pay" … told them I have paid enough for this contract over the years to expect a free replacement for a faulty router, they refused.

Called back to talk to customer service - 30 mins of being on hold to death by pop music and got exhausted.

Have been a virgin media (and NTL before it) customer since 2000.  This is hands down the most shoddy customer service and tech support I have ever experienced.  Bearing in mind for my day job I manage an IT contract for my employer, if this story got to me about my contract I'd be talking to the contractor about failing to fulfil the terms of the contract.  as it stands I am looking at a new internet provider over this.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: superhub 3 wifi dropping and garbage tech support

Lets see if we can help.  Are your connection issues only evident on wifi - i.e. do ethernet cable connected devices connect normally?  Have you tried renaming the ssid's of the 2 wifi networks and disabled the "channel optimisation" option ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
kilohotel77
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi and thanks for the reply - says a lot when I get a better response rate from a forum user than the company!

tried all of the above - yes it’s wifi only. I have a WD mycloud device plugged in via cat5 and can connect to that over my phone when I turn WiFi off on my phone (...!). just done a factory reset and I’m online (for now) ...

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@kilohotel77 wrote:

Hi and thanks for the reply - says a lot when I get a better response rate from a forum user than the company!

tried all of the above - yes it’s wifi only. I have a WD mycloud device plugged in via cat5 and can connect to that over my phone when I turn WiFi off on my phone (...!). just done a factory reset and I’m online (for now) ...

OK - apologies if you know & have done this already - A factory reset will put the network ssid's back to the same names - and possibly re-enable the channel optimisation".  So would be worth going back in to change again.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

not sure you understood the question from the earlier post or maybe i dont understand your answer

the hub3 comes with the 2.4 and 5 wifi bands joined - you need to log in and give them seperate ssid's - if you had done that then a full reset would take them back to joined again [default] so you need to split them again

what happens to the internet wired connection when you lose wifi - not when you turn wifi off but when wifi drops

you could post some levels

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

Tony
0 Kudos
kilohotel77
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi and thanks for the reply.  previously manually configured 1 channel to 2.4ghz, has worked fine like that for a couple of years.  Now both 2.4 and 5 combined, following factory reset.  leaving alone for now.  

downstream.jpgupstream.jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi kilohotel77,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to see you have had trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. It may help to try the following so we can rule some things out:

Pop the hub into Modem Mode with the computer in Safe Mode with Networking at different times of the day.

Try on separate devices.

Check Ethernet cable. Make sure it is new / up to date. (Cat 5e or above).

Make sure device is capable of agreed speed.

Check wireless card slide.

Take care.

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos