cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

superhub 1

trev23
On our wavelength

Hi having trouble connecting the mobile to the wifi of the hub internet work's great, been through all the things you can do to sort it out turning it off resetting ect but to no avail, when on virgin site followed instructions to test it, came up eligible for new hub, OK so signed took me to the next page, came back with looking for a better deal or up grade no button to click to continue,what have I done wrong? any help would be appreciated

Cheers Trev

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello trev23

Sorry to hear of the wireless network issues with your SuperHub 1, I had to do a double take as it's been quite a while since i have seen a customer still on this hub. Thanks for raising this via the forum.

I'm eager to get this looked into for you so will send you a Private Message to get some more details from you. Looking forward to your reply.

Rob

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You are doing nothing wrong - it's VM's intransigent.

There is a Hub shortage at the moment (dont ask!) and so VM are instructed not to simply replace Hubs unless there is a demonstrable fault

The SH1 belongs as a doorstop - simply because it doesnt broadcast the 2 wifi frequences (2.4/5 GHz) simultaneously - so you cant connect the faster modern devices on 5 at the same time as older ones that can only receive the 2.4.

Call in to VM and say you want that feature that every other VM Hub provides so the Hub needs replacing as it isnt fit for purpose. Dont accept any "upgrade" packages (unless you want to).

If you get nowhere come back here for advice on how to get it done.

An alternative is that if ethernet cable connected devices are all working fine (are they?) then put the SH1 into Modem Mode and get you own better quality equipment to provide a far better wifi connectivity. £40-100 will sort it for all time.

Again, post back if you want advice/suggestions on doing that - I did it >20 years ago 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

trev23
On our wavelength

Hi many thanks for all the info, The VM shop where I live in Mansfield only do mobile phones, anyway I have not been out because of the virus as I am vulnerable, that aside I could try what you said about modem mode, if you could put point me in the right direction what I need I could maybe send for one, cutting VM out of the equation could be a lot simpler, they will only baffle me with tech stuff and try to sell me something.

Cheers Trev

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
VM closed all there shops last year.

What is the problem you are actually having with the mobile connection? What mobile make/model is it? What error messages are you getting? You say the "internet is fine" is that over wifi or ethernet cable connected devices? And what devices are they?

There may be a simple solution to your issue and you may not actually need to change anything 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

trev23
On our wavelength

Hi thanks again for the reply, Ok I have a pc, amazon stick, and tv box all connected by cable and all work fine, If I try to connect any with wi fi  they do not connect, the main thing my wife has a moto android phone and it picks up the hub but just keeps trying to connect and it fails, we found out because she users it to connect to face book and o2 sent her a message that she was running out of data, thats when we knew there was something wrong, so when the granddaughter came she had a look and said it was using phone data and not wifi, so she tried her Iphone and the same thing could not connect,

And apparently she said that they had the same problem at home but with a hub3 and to cut a long story short after numerous calls to virgin they finished up sending them a small box to connect to their hub and now it works fine. but put their monthly payments up by £5 to pay for it.

Trev

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK its a bit difficult to diagnose from a distance. But as I said the SH1 only broadcasts on one frequency at a time.

5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. Hence newer Hubs do them simultaneously.

You could log into the Hub settings and switch it over to the other frequency and see if that sorts it. But... TBH its an antique piece of kit so I do think a swap to the Hub3 may sort it simply for you.

Grand-daughter's "solution" is a wifi Pod that only works on the Hub3 anyway - so not an option for you! Also £5/month on an 18 month contract, is a £90 rental fee - so its obvious that buying her own is the better long term solution. As would be spending that sort of money to sort your own wif out.

That said... I will flag for VM to come here and take a look and see if they can get you a Hub3. If not the SH1 could get "mysteriously broken" somehow and they would have to replace it 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hello trev23

Sorry to hear of the wireless network issues with your SuperHub 1, I had to do a double take as it's been quite a while since i have seen a customer still on this hub. Thanks for raising this via the forum.

I'm eager to get this looked into for you so will send you a Private Message to get some more details from you. Looking forward to your reply.

Rob

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 wrote:

cheap fix.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-C6-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B07L5YRYF4/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&key...
cable

3m - black - 1 pieces - CAT.6 Ethernet Lan Network Cable RJ45 | 10/100/1000/Mbit/s | Patchcabel | CA...

OP is not expecting miracles from his post and is not connecting a host of devices - a cheaper fix is VM sending a hub3 - i will go with your fix if that does not solve the problem as the pod is a poor 'next' fix 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

trev23
On our wavelength

Hi thanks for your input will look at that if I can't get it sorted