cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

still losing connection on !00 mbps service

ukmartian
Up to speed

I still have ongoing problems with my 2.4 ghz band ...I have had engineers , tried different systems and devices but I am still geting dropouts and slow speeds at peak times . the last engineer said everything checks out and suggested i try a mesh system because I several devices which are 2.4 only , I have already bought my own router and put my hub 3 into modem mode , that made no difference I now have a mesh system , i have hard wired as many items as possible , I am utilising 3 networks to spread the traffic , I have a combined signal on the mesh system and logged tablets , phones and my laptop to that as they are mostly 5ghz (except my Roku stick) which does not cause a problem I have used the guest network and set 2 seperat networks  for 2.4 and 5 ghz with seperate ssid's, this is so i can easily connect smart plugs without having to switch bands off and on as the are only 2 .4 . However once again the 2.4 band failed at a peak time went from about 30mbps down to no internet , then to 2.4 ...i checked the log in my mesh system and I had very little usage from my devices .....why it is difficult to watch Roku in the evening because of the buffering ....I know the mesh is working  as my coverage is much better even my man cave gets coverage., where do I go from here ...sky ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@ukmartian Can you do us a favour to help us help you?  Connect to the hub's interface and pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as TEXT not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  This might seem all techy and high risk, but be assured there's nothing you can inadvertently change if you're not logged in to the hub.

I've seen your network log in another thread (please stick to this one thread, it's difficult to keep track otherwise) and that looks very poor, but if we can have a full set of Downstream, Upstream and Network log together here that'll help in addition to the BQM.  On the basis of that other network log it seems likely to me that there's a poor broadband connection that VM's staff have failed to spot.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

27 REPLIES 27

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If the broadband (VM) connection is OK for wired devices and those on 5 GHz, then the problem is the 2.4 GHz wireless, and if it persists with your own mesh, then it isn't anything to do with VM.  Changing to Sky won't help in that case.

What sort of property is this?

Have you checked for overlapping 2.4 GHz networks?

You don't have baby monitors, or a microwave over (in particular Panansonic)?

You're sure that the broad band latency, speed and reliability are A1 on a wired connection?  Both wired and 5GHz handle brief disconnects much better than the sort of dumb-as-a-cabinet-minister devices that are limited to 2.4 GHz, and anything pertaining to be "smart" is assuredly the complete opposite.

Kudos for the "anything pertaining to be "smart" is assuredly the complete opposite" quote which is so damn true!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ukmartian,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your broadband service. 

I have been able to locate your account and had a look over this.

From the information there and what you have advised there isn't anything we'd further be able to do. 

At this point we would advise following the advice provided by the engineer. 

^Martin

I have fitted a mesh system as suggested,  i cannot afford to upgrade my service I feel sure it is not my equipment as most off the time dropouts happen at peak times evenings  and weekends..this Sunday my 2.4 died totally I was connected to my network but had no internet,  after a while it tested at 2.4mbps at 1am this morning I was getting 50mbps approx last week I had a email saying that the smart modem had identified a problem and it would be 'tweaked' at your end..i have noticed no difference at all

Hi ukmartian

Thanks for coming back to us.

Sorry for the delayed reply. We've done all the checks and no issues have been found. 

How's the service since posting? Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Guess what...

I have given up..

If it works it works....strange that all this started the day we tried to update to a hub 4  that didn't work so a engineer came round couldn't get it to work do put a hub 3 back in

Has the mesh system you ordered been received ukmartian? If so, has this helped at all? I've had another look at your connection and equipment and all of the levels are wthin the ranges we'd expect to see.

Rob

Mesh system is installed and working..it has improved signal black spots in the house and I can even get it in my shed now...however I have had drop outs  on the 2.4 ghz still usually at peak times a few days ago I lost the 5 ghz and the slow speed for about an hour ie 2 maps this happened on both wireless and WIRED...I have the H3  in modem mode it is wired to the master which in turn is wired via Ethernet to a switch  to supply my TV and sky q box.. And as sky q used its own wifi to the mini box it reported it was a internet issue .but I don't care now...fed up trying I have spent money and it ain't solved anything...Question it worked fine for ages or and then it didn't...

Hi @ukmartian

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm going to drop you a private message to investigate further, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs