cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shocking wifi

MRJDMANN
Joining in

After almost cancelling last month I was sold the new faster broadband with the hub 3 .   It is shocking in most rooms of the house . The Connect App says I need to add 3 Boosters but wont let me get any  and it just tries to sell me ""wifi plus""????. I cannot get through to any live chat and  and I am sick to the stomach thinking that I may be tied in to 18 months of this.   Any suggestions on what I can do? Can I cancel my contract as the wifi is not as sold?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

@MRJDMANN wrote:

fit for purpose means it will work in an average home, it doesn't.  I dont mind if I get sent boosters but i cannot seem to get a link to be sent some. 

There is no “average home”. Wifi is affected by a number of environmental factors not just those within your property.

Boosters are no longer on offer they have been replaced with the “mesh” pods. These cost £5 per month extra unless you’re on Gig1 or the Ultimate Oomph bundles in which case they’re free.

For £5 per month rental (£60 per year) you can buy your own better kit outright. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Yes really.

The speeds you pay for are speeds to the hub and achievable by compatible wired devices. Not wireless.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Only wired speeds are guaranteed. WiFi is affected by so many local issues that speeds can't be promised.  Have you checked the speed by ethernet to confirm that it's coming in at the correct speed?

If you have tried all the help links on this site without success then you may need to invest in a separate access point or one of the many other ways to get a good signal around your house.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

When I get connected the speed is great but it keeps disconnecting for no reason. If i turn wifi off then on again on the devices it reconnects but areas in the house (small terraced) are very poor connection and tend to run slowly .  

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes that is very common.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

so the hub is not fit for purpose if my problems are common?

@MRJDMANN wrote:

so the hub is not fit for purpose if my problems are common?

Define “fit for purpose” in a multitude of varying environments what use Wifi.

fit for purpose means it will work in an average home, it doesn't.  I dont mind if I get sent boosters but i cannot seem to get a link to be sent some. 

@MRJDMANN wrote:

There is no “average home”. Wifi is affected by a number of environmental factors not just those within your property.

Boosters are no longer on offer they have been replaced with the “mesh” pods. These cost £5 per month extra unless you’re on Gig1 or the Ultimate Oomph bundles in which case they’re free.

For £5 per month rental (£60 per year) you can buy your own better kit outright. 

Really they want £5 a month?? Are they serious?  I am on 350 which is the best available in my area

Yes really.

The speeds you pay for are speeds to the hub and achievable by compatible wired devices. Not wireless.