Menu
SD123456
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

router web logs

Hi guys

I wanted to find out website accessed via wifi on this router. I went to tools, network status and then network logs however it lists few ones with error numbers but not actually list of websites used via wifi. How can I check what websites have been used via our wifi.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: router web logs

Easy answer.

You cant.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

SD123456
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm not really a techie person but I thought browsing history could be tracked  via the router? Is there anyway to find out what websites visited using our wifi, the router is hub 3.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No.

Whilst some routers offer that functionality, HUB3 aint one of them.

Im not trying to be awkward, its just thats not what your HUB does. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you could try looking at browser history, cache or temp files, but you aren't going to be able to track anything HUB end....

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
pauleedle
Settling in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Logs are a standard feature of most routers. Why not Virgin Hub?

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

access logs are not logged by many routers.

Plus you can;t even tell what is being accessed if its SSL (HTTPS) only the ip address accessed as as most servers have more then one site on its impossible now the web is SSL

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

DPI, deep packet inspection, is what you required, but it’s not available on most “home” routers. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Even on routers that do feature deep packet inspection you still won't be able to simply see a log of an end users browser history due to HTTPS which the vast majority of sites employ these days due to the easy availability with services such as Let's Encrypt.

If you have a device you specifically need to monitor, a laptop belonging to your child for example, you'd be better off installing device management software or parental software.

0 Kudos
RegTheDonk
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi sorry to resurrect this but have a similar question...

...I can see what's currently connected to my Super Hub, it displays the MAC address, assigned IP address, Device Name etc.   But is it possible to see the history of what device has been connected to the Super Hub?  Can't see anything to access logs from the Hub's menu, but is there another method - maybe using the CMD Command Propt interface via windows? 

Thanks for any advice. 

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The Hub doesn't have any remote terminal exposed to customers, and I don't believe it has a historical client list.
For features like that you'd need to buy a router which has those features and use it with the Hub in modem mode.