cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove Virgin configuration

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello

I am moving away from Virgin to another provider with much faster upload/download speed. All great however the router they provide does not have a guest network (separate IP range) which I need.

There are two options

a) buy a new router

b) reconfigure the Virgin router to factory reset (no Virgin configuration), then configure it in such a way that the WIFI is on a different IP range than the home network, although both IP ranges use the same gateway.

Is it possible to reconfigure the Virgin router to a factory reset so no Virgin configuration is left in the router?

7 REPLIES 7

jem101
Superstar

It isn't possible to do that no, and depending on the hub model you have, there is a good chance that VM will require you to return it to them when you leave.

Client62
Hero

You are on the supply your own solution /  router for the new Guest Network.

The VM Hub ...

1) Is the property of Virgin Media (we only rent them), it will have to be returned, failure to do so could result in a £xxx charge.

2) Cable Hubs are totally useless once off the network.

Anonymous
Not applicable

they already told me they do not need it back, I can keep it or bring it to a recycling center.

"they already told me they do not need it back"

I would need that confirmed in writing i.e. on a letter printed and on headed paper.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

You are looking to do a LAN to WAN connection but this isn't possible with a VM hub as it has no WAN port. I suggest you get a router for this.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If its an SH1 or SH2 - they dont want them back - do with it what you will.

I had my old SH2 replaced last week and the new ones pack info. said to recycle it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Anonymous wrote:

b) reconfigure the Virgin router to factory reset (no Virgin configuration), then configure it in such a way that the WIFI is on a different IP range than the home network, although both IP ranges use the same gateway.

Is it possible to reconfigure the Virgin router to a factory reset so no Virgin configuration is left in the router?

will not work

---------------------------------------------------------------