Menu
mitch661
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

regular loss of internet

hi ,I am hoping to get help with constantly losing internet ,everyday a few seconds at a time. checking service comes back fine because issues are so quick. all equipment fine. I just seem to lose internet frequently. I am a new customer of 2 weeks and already had engineer out to fix  bad workmanship from installation . two years of talktalk with no issues . my new vivid 100 is just not good enough. 

Edinburgh area .any suggestions would be helpful

thanks chris

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: regular loss of internet

Need to establish, are the "interruptions" restricted to wifi connected devices or do ones on ethernet cable connection suffer the same problem.? A quick thing to do - given poor installation, is to check all your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and the wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc and also that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing (rabbit chews!). Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
mitch661
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

hi, loss is wired and WiFi. attenuator at hub. connections all look ok. tests show 33mbps wired from vivid100 but engineer checked at 108. one week later quick bursts of loss .

0 Kudos
mitch661
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

just to add a note here, installation into flat was connected to freeview rg6 cable hidden in walls existing.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@mitch661 wrote:

just to add a note here, installation into flat was connected to freeview rg6 cable hidden in walls existing.

Sorry - can you clarify - who did the installation and they used pre-existing (old) non-VM cable - is that correct ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
mitch661
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

hi jbrennand

virgin engineers did installation and only used virgin cable to front door.

internal cabling existing old rg6 spare freeview coax was then jointed to save them running virgin cabling internally.

I did question this at the time but was

told connecting to existing spare freeview cable was done in all flats.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK - I will let one of our Superusers comment on that one.

--------------------
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's probably because the landlord won't give permission for new cable runs in flats.  It's be that or no installation.

0 Kudos
mitch661
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

no it not that . housing association flats . checked and you can run cables no problem . same as most only structural work they care about

thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Where the kosher VM cable comes into the inside of your property, is there a wall-mounted faceplace/connection - and then that is connected to the non-VM cable ? If so, you could just disconnect the "extension cabling" at that point and plug your Hub in there directly. If it works ok then you know the cabling is at fault.

--------------------
0 Kudos