Menu
itm
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

"Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly"

I have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0 operating in modem mode, connected to the WAN port of an Asus RT-AC68U. I suddenly lost internet access about an hour ago, and the internet connection status reported on the Asus router is: Your ISP's DHCP does not function properly".
When I connect a PC directly to the Virgin Hub (via ethernet) I am able to connect to the internet, but it seems the Asus router is no longer getting an IP address from the Virgin Hub. 
My setup has been working fine for over a year, and there have been no changes. The internet connection dropped while I was having dinner.

Any idea how I can get the modem connected to the Asus router again? I've powered down both the Virgin router and the Asus router several times, but it didn't help.

????

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly"

It could be that your Asus router is faulty given how a PC works.

Get the PC working with internet in modem mode and copy its MAC (the PC MAC) to your Asus WAN settings and connect the Asus to the hub.

0 Kudos
itm
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How would I copy the MAC address of my PC to the Asus, and wouldn't it create problems to have 2 devices on the LAN with the same MAC address?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@itm wrote:

How would I copy the MAC address of my PC to the Asus, and wouldn't it create problems to have 2 devices on the LAN with the same MAC address?

Its not going to create problems with your LAN because the MAC will be on the WAN and LAN devices connected the gateway has its own MAC and many simple NAT routers support this cloning method.

You can run cmd and ipconfig /all to find the Physical Address (MAC) to copy to your Asus WAN settings.

Or going by this demo click WAN and MAC clone of the PC connected.

https://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_WAN_Content.html

0 Kudos
itm
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I think the problem is with the Asus router. I can only connect to it via wireless - a PC connected to any of the ethernet ports will not connect to it. I'm guessing maybe the WAN port is also faulty - hence the failure to connect to the Virgin modem.

Looks like I'll need a new router. Any suggestions? I don't need wireless as I already have a mesh network. I do have an extensive network of IoT and other devices though, all configured to use the 192.168.1.x range (which is why I can't use the Virgin Hub as my gateway device/DHCP server).

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You could try another Asus as for me I like Zyxel high end gear but they do home routers like this one you can look at.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M1BZ7FY/ref=psdc_430579031_t3_B00YG1BHG0

0 Kudos
Kouneloz
Superfast
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have an ASUS (RT-AC68U) router which has been happily running a HyperWRT based firmware in modem mode with the SH2ac since 2014. It started exhibiting the same symptoms as your router and lost its WAN IP a couple of times over last week. Thinking it may possibly have been the SH2ac and or the outdated router firmware which is no longer being maintained, I had my SH2 activated and flashed my router with the Asuswrt-merlin 384.8_2 firmware last week. The dropouts continued and my routers syslog also reported Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly. Unlike with the HyperWRT based firmware where the routers UI was still accessible over LAN, when the WAN dropped on merlins firmware, it wasn't connectible via wired connection and I had to manually assign my computer a LAN IP to get to its UI (odd).

@derlane also has an ASUS router, albeit a different model but they reported their first dropout on the 18th. My first was in the early hours of the 19th. Seems to be a coincidence that all 3 of our connections have been showing similar symptoms within the span of a couple of weeks and the common denominator being an ASUS router. I have had an engineer out who changed my tap in the cab and swapped me over to a SH3. I have installed Skynet for inbound filtering and haven't experienced a dropout since Friday. Please keep us updated

0 Kudos
itm
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I spent half an hour on the phone with Virgin support today, and a hardware reset of the Virgin router eventually fixed the problem. Thank God I didn't buy a new router!

0 Kudos