cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Weak Security" ios 15

Enten
On our wavelength

I've recently upgraded to ios 15.0.2 on my iphone 7. Since the latest outage (today) on Virgin Media my phone insists that my Hub 3 is not configured securely (citing "weak security"). I'm on the highest security mode - WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK - but this isn't good enough for my iphone which requires me to manually reconnect to the internet each time I use the phone.

Is there a solution to this while staying with Hub 3 or does it require a new hub (hub 4 or more)? Alternatively is there anything I can do in the iphone settings to override the "weak security" effects.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This advice applies for iOS 15 as for iOS 14

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/iOS-14-Weak-Security/td-p/4410050

But basically the Hub 3 needs to be on WPA2 only to get rid of the message.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This advice applies for iOS 15 as for iOS 14

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/iOS-14-Weak-Security/td-p/4410050

But basically the Hub 3 needs to be on WPA2 only to get rid of the message.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Enten
On our wavelength

It works!

Excellent - many thanks

Thanks or your post, Enten,

Glad BenMcr was able to help get your iOS security sorted.

Cheers,

Corey C

Both of the links you've given to access the "Hub" no longer work. 

Typing in 192.168.0.1 into my search bar or clicking on the link you provided for the wifi booster bounces back as "this site can't be reached".

Virgin now has you access their hub by typing into the search bar whichever one you have. Mine is a Valerie so I have the dashboard for that open by accessing http://valerie.

The problem from there is that there is no longer a security option to change the WPA. There is no drop down menu and no options to change the settings. I can go into the Advanced Tools and Settings but there is no option to change your WPA anywhere in the menu. 

I can access the settings for the modem from computer settings but it shows me only options of WPA- Personal, WPA-Enterprise, 802.1X, and no authentication. I have no option for WPA-3. And it is currently on WPA- Personal and still showing the weak connection.

And WPA-2 should be good enough apparently but my iphone is on IOS 15 and is still showing this issue. My partners samsung android is having no issues for comparison. 

I have reset the modem, my phone,  and my laptop all multiple times. I have reconnected my phone to the wifi and it is the only thing that continues to tell me the network connection is weak. My laptop and my partners android do not have this issue.

g0akc
Problem sorter

@KChilly wrote:

Both of the links you've given to access the "Hub" no longer work. 

Typing in 192.168.0.1 into my search bar or clicking on the link you provided for the wifi booster bounces back as "this site can't be reached".

Virgin now has you access their hub by typing into the search bar whichever one you have. Mine is a Valerie so I have the dashboard for that open by accessing http://valerie.

The problem from there is that there is no longer a security option to change the WPA. There is no drop down menu and no options to change the settings. I can go into the Advanced Tools and Settings but there is no option to change your WPA anywhere in the menu. 

I can access the settings for the modem from computer settings but it shows me only options of WPA- Personal, WPA-Enterprise, 802.1X, and no authentication. I have no option for WPA-3. And it is currently on WPA- Personal and still showing the weak connection.

And WPA-2 should be good enough apparently but my iphone is on IOS 15 and is still showing this issue. My partners samsung android is having no issues for comparison. 

I have reset the modem, my phone,  and my laptop all multiple times. I have reconnected my phone to the wifi and it is the only thing that continues to tell me the network connection is weak. My laptop and my partners android do not have this issue.

Whereabouts are you?  I’m guessing Canada - I gather the Virgin modems there are named Steve or Valerie as you describe.

These forums are for Virgin Media UK - the information and questions you’ve put are not relevant here. The menu options are different on UK VM Hubs.

Try raising your concerns on the Canadian website - maybe look at getting your own wireless router 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!