cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Upgrade" Black Sagemcom Router issues

samata
Joining in

I had zero issues with virgin media over the past 3 years until the pushed their new black router on me. Has anyone else faced issues with this router? I don't even use the router itself to manage my network, I simply forward the connection to my own hardware so I don't really need the "upgraded" features.

I persistently found that the black router drops entire connections (wired and wireless) for between 90 seconds and 2 minutes at a time. It's enough to drive you mad, especially if you work from home and do zoom calls. It is even so bad that apps like netflix with pre-buffering stop working because the pre-buffer gets used before the connection comes back.

3 REPLIES 3

g0akc
Problem sorter

Presumably this is a hub 5 that you are referring to?

If you are using your own hardware can you run the VM hub in modem mode?  See how it performs like that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Probably a circuit problem. My Hub5 works very well in modem mode. Please provide some stats. 

How to get stats from a VM hub (no need to logon to the hub)

Open a web browser and go to 192.168.0.1 router mode or 192.168.100.1 modem mode

• Click on the “> Check router status” button
  • Click on the “Downstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply, do not take a screen shot
  • Click on the “Upstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply
  • Click on the “Networking” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply.
    • Do NOT post photos or screen shots they will be rejected as they contain MAC addresses. The board software will automatically change MAC addresses to **:** if done as above.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

g0akc
Problem sorter

Also which hub did you have previously?  I wonder if you started to use DOCCIS 3.1 with the hub 5 and the issues lie there?  Share the stats as already suggested.  And advise how the router is connected.  Do you have Ethernet cables to the loft?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!