Menu
Peter_Lewis
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

"Intelligent WiFi" upgrade has resulted in Intermittement WiFi

I have 3 WiFi APs in my home, one of which is the VM Hub 3.0. Until a few weeks ago my home network was performing perfectly, with each AP being fixed to specific 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi channels to stop interference from each other (and taking into account neighbouring signals).

Starting a few weeks ago, WiFi Conectivity to the VM Hub 3.0 has become intermittment. The other two APs are working perfectly fine, and its clear that Internet connectivity is still okay.

On looking at the VM Hub 3.0, I can see 2 things, firstly the fixed channel settings had been reset to auto channel select (and on using WiFi analysers I could see that the VM Hub 3 had now auto chosen a channel already in use with a strong Wifi signal from one of my other APs, so clearly the "Intelligent" auto channelization is not working properly.

Secondly, using a WiFi analyser, I can see the Wifi signals from the VM Hub 3.0 are intermittent, and can disappear at random intervals (and to be clear, I am sitting right next to the hub as I use the analyser).

Thirdly, my TV which is sitting next to the VM Hub 3.0 has problems connecting. And at times, even when I can see the VM Hub 3 Wifi is up, it will not allow the TV to connect (I get "Unable to connect" when selecting the Wifi of the Hub 3.

I've tried, turning off "Intelligent Wifi", and I've tried turn back manual channel selection and setting the channel numbers back to what I had them before, but unfortunately the intemitment signal and inability to connect is still happening.

Result is that I have had to turn off the WiFi from the VM Hub 3.0

Anyone else having this problem?

...Peter

jbrennand
Legend
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: "Intelligent WiFi" upgrade has resulted in Intermittement WiFi

What AP's do you have?
Having the Hub next to the TV isn't the best location for it as it will be subject to wifi interference - on the other hand if it's close then connect the TV by Cat6a ethernet cable so it will not be subject to that and will also "free" up the wifi bandwith.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Peter_Lewis
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

The other APs are NetGears, but it doesn't matter what they are, as they are separate APs and were working and still are working fine.

Irrespective of whether the TV is next to the Hub 3.0 or not, that's not the question. The issue is that the Hub Wifi signal DISAPPEARS completely intermittently (as can be seen on Wifi Analysers), and that the Auto Channel Selection is NOT being intelligent and is selecting channels with the strongest competing signals and not the channels which I have manually selected. I am using a Wifi Analyser right next to the Hub, so the analyser shows the same signal strengths of competing signals that the Hub 3 should be measuring..

Then lastly the issue is that even if I turn off the other APs so that we do not have interference on the Wifi, devices are having problems connecting to the Hub 3.0 Wifi (on the times the Wifi is actually up).

All in all, the Wifi performance of the Hub 3.0 has deteriorated over the past couple of weeks. Coincidentally the Hub was upgraded to be "Intelligent". So either, the upgrade is erroneous and needs to be fixed, or the HW has decided to become faulty at the same time by pure coincidence (which by coincidence is 1 year after it was installed).

...Peter

Jag1177
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm having the same issues exactly.

This intelligent wifi is pretty dumb, it's always changing channels to a busy channel and dropping out.

I spoke to virgin months ago about the issue and nobody cared to mention this new intelligent wifi was coming, this was obviously already being tested and was the cause to my issues.

Even an engineer came out and said he did not know  why it was changing channels so he changed my hub asked me not to touch any settings for 24hrs. 

And the new one was doing exactly the same.

0 Kudos
Jonbreadman
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here as well. Hub has gone from working really well to useless. I’ve used the virgin connect app as is suggested and have black spots all over the house now apparently. The poor performance can only be the supposedly smart upgrade. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Peter_Lewis wrote:

Anyone else having this problem?

So all works fine like that? Just run like that you can try asking for a new hub but likely will not help or get a router with 1Gb ports and use the hub in modem mode.

0 Kudos
Jag1177
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have recently received a set of boosters 2 of them are powerline adapters and 1 is a WiFi booster.

This has not solved the problem of the so called intelligent WiFi.

When you connect everything up virgin installation leads you in a way that makes the booster clone your hub ssid, when this happens you have no idea if you are connected to the hub or a booster.

Also if you are connected even if it is a terribly poor connection it does not automatically change it just stays with the poor connection.

I started again and named the booster differently to the hub so I could choose the stronger connection manually.

This worked for a couple of days until the boosters lost connection (even the poweline adapters).

Now I find my hub still changes its channel on the 5g ALWAYS to 38 or 46.

The booster does tend to stay on the channel you set it from but does have a lot of dropouts because of hub being on a crowded channel usually channel 36 same as my virgin neighbors.

I'm at my Witt's end with this intelligent WiFi which apparently cannot be switched off.

I have cancelled my contract because of a failure to fix my issues.

Now looking into BT, I'd rather a slower stable BB connection than a super fast one that needs constant maintenance from the consumer.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Irrelevant if you have cancelled but in the Hub settings you could turn off smart wif and channel optimisation as well as rename the networks SSID's.
Or even better - stick it in modem mode and get your own router and wireless kit to sort it forever.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Jag1177
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply, I have had these auto settings off for a long time now but this intelligent WiFi overrides them.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

OK.. just get your own wireless router and be rid of it forever.

--------------------
0 Kudos