cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printer 2.4 & 5ghz

ron101
On our wavelength

Hi,
Ive got windows 7 sp1 and I am trying to get my printer to work,"HP DESKJET 2710 all in one".
Its all connected BUT I can not get past the:

"Connect the printer to Wi-Fi"
"You must stay on this screen while each setup completes. This might take a few minutes."

1) Printer found, ok
2) Unable to configure the printer (in RED writing)
3) Join the network
4) Finish connections

The reason I think the printer was on 5ghz and the PC was 2.4ghz, BUT I AM NOT SURE.
How do I change the PC or Printer so they are both on the same waveband?

RON.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hiya,

You are not stupid - WiFi, when it doesn't just work out of the box, is a bit of a bogga! - I'm learning stuff every day on here!

Basically it creates 2 distinct networks operating at different frequencies. This will give you the choice about which network to connect different devices to

You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Client62
Legend

The way to force a connection to a specific WiFi band is to set the SSID differently on each band so you can manually connect as needed.

ron101
On our wavelength

I know I'm stupid about this but I'm not sure exactly what you mean.? could you be a bit more info about SSID,  force a connection, each band, and manually connect,?

Have I got to go to the WI FI and change it there, what do I change it to, and which do I change  2.4 & 5Ghz?

(I've got some pics if want them?)

Hiya,

You are not stupid - WiFi, when it doesn't just work out of the box, is a bit of a bogga! - I'm learning stuff every day on here!

Basically it creates 2 distinct networks operating at different frequencies. This will give you the choice about which network to connect different devices to

You can split the WiFi bands by accessing your hub settings - to do this, you'll need to be connected to your hub and type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

Exactly so, set a different SSID for each band in the Hub's Wireless >>> Security menu.

The primary reason for suggesting this SSID split is I'd had a conversation with a guy that has several PCs and a 2.4 Ghz WiFi Printer and  he faced a struggle to get all the PCs to be able to reach the 2.4Ghz printer.

The issue was down to the Hub 5 in Router mode not providing any data path between the 2.4 and 5 Ghz WiFi bands. i.e. it was impossible to even ping the printer from the 5Ghz band.   The Hub 5 network ports do appear to route to the 2.4hz WiFi band.

When I saw this post, it kind of looked like a similar concern.

ron101
On our wavelength

I was going to Email you after the instructions you gave when I had a look once more at the HUB, and then I fell in. I filled it in as you said and hey IT WORKED WHOOO .  I did it for a day or so but I did not click the ADD button, so it didn't work. But knew that anyway so THANK YOU SO MUCH.

HP DESKJET was just confusing this and the other, but having you guide me was GREAT.

THANK YOU AGAIN and to the other chap "client"  something, sorry I forgot the name.

Nice one!!!

Glad I could be of help! 🙂