cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

port forwarding mishaps with third party router

Finn_Rickman
Just browsing

Hello, when I was setting up my new router (ASUS RT-AX56U) I was having issues whenever i changed the virgin hub to modem mode. it would straight up refuse to work for no reason, complained about DHCP, so I tried in normal mode and it works great.

unfortunately, this is causing issues with port forwarding. The local (listed as WAN) IP for the router is 192.168.0.16. I added that, along with all of the required ports to the port forwarding rules

Finn_Rickman_0-1626564347737.png

Finn_Rickman_0-1626563937376.png

I then added the rule for everything needed to the asus router settings

Finn_Rickman_1-1626564014729.png

However, when attempting to connect to the website through my external IP address, I see nothing (ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT which makes me think the port forwarding is the point of failure) this is also backed up when the website loads fine when using the servers local IP

Finn_Rickman_2-1626564195288.png

am I missing something? I had no issue with hosting a website on the virgin router independently, and no issue on my old ISP. I included all the steps I took from stock router configuration, so can someone tell me what im doing wrong?

thanks for the help

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Modem mode needs to be set in order. 

1 - Put Hub in modem mode and switch off

2 - Put ASUS in DHCP mode and leave for a few minutes.

3 - Connect Hub to ASUS WAN port with a Cat 6 cable.

4 - Switch on Hub. 

This should work and this order only needs to be done for the first time connecting a Router to the Hub. 
Having the Hub and ASUS as routers will cause problems. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

before fussing around with that again, i decided to just try connecting the server straight to the hub 3. I updated port forwarding rules and still nothing when using external IP to connect to the website. i think it has something to do with the hub 3 port forwarding. do I need anything like port triggering?

[sorry for double post, used wrong reply function so the other one probably didnt notify them about my response]
before fussing around with that again, i decided to just try connecting the server straight to the hub 3. I updated port forwarding rules and still nothing when using external IP to connect to the website. i think it has something to do with the hub 3 port forwarding. do I need anything like port triggering?

If you are going to use the SH in router mode with another router behind it then the best way is to place the ASUS in the DMZ of the SH.
Also, make sure that the small subnet between the SH and ASUS is not in the same range as your main private subnet.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Get the hub working in modem mode then it will all work if you get that working with a PC you can use the MAC clone option on your router to get it to work or just put the hub in modem mode power off for 2mins and connect your router to it

---------------------------------------------------------------