cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netflix/prime buffering

popeye45
Tuning in

recently i have been experiencing buffering with both netflix and Prime video. I followed the advice on the media website which caused me to reset the router. When engineers first installed the system i had a choice of  the 2.4 and 5 gh? wavelengths, but since the reset only the one network name. is my hub faulty?

I am an oap and not very wifi savvy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can return the Hub to the separate wifi bands you had before by following the procedure below.

Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker.

Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types

Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change them back to what they were previously - or a new ones like popeye_2 & popeye_5. Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  use the old one you used previously

Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

Also- try this.....

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

Report back if there are remaining issues after doing this

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can return the Hub to the separate wifi bands you had before by following the procedure below.

Type in  http://192.168.0.1  into your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker.

Then in Advanced>wireless signal >smart wifi - tick the disable “channel optimisation” box or “Smart Wifi” box and save settings.  May be different pathways and wording on the 3 Hub types

Then, go to advanced>wireless signal>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just type over to change them back to what they were previously - or a new ones like popeye_2 & popeye_5. Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices. Use the same password for simplicity,  use the old one you used previously

Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 

Note all your wifi devices will need re-connecting to the new SSID's and passwords.
All things being equal, 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less congestion/interference (and is better for iDevice speeds than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and will be needed when the 5 GHz drops out of range and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one. 

Also- try this.....

You should also use a wifi analyser App (or Airport Utility on iOS) to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that is least so, but it wont help if there is other interference.

Report back if there are remaining issues after doing this

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for replying, sorry for taking so long to answer but nave been ill for a few days. I couldn't follow your advice as I got confused, how can I book an engineer call to sort it out for me?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You call it in. They will probably charge £25 as its not a fault.

A VM person will respond on here... probably Monday now.

What was difficult to follow in the procedure?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I have tried it, but still only see the 1 channel when opening available networks to sign in to. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What hub model is it exactly (printed on base sticker).

Is it the original SH1 by any chance?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I dont see SH1 on the label.  Maybe VMDG505/TG2492LG-VM ?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That's the Hub3. It combines the 2 bands into one SSID - as that is intelligent/smart wifi !!

If you want to see them separately you need to doi what I posted above - have you tried that yet?

--------------------
John
--------------------