Menu
martyp
Superfast
Message 11 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: need to set dhcp Starting local address to 192.168.123

@Kippies wrote:

@martyp wrote:

If it's the top secret method I think it is, please let me know if it works as dhcp and internal access to the web interface seem to be an issue for me...

I've somehow ended up on an IP range of 192.168.43.x

If your HUB is dishing out those LAN side addys on DHCP, you could try a factory reset but I doubt it will make much difference.

Sounds like your HUB has gone to "the land where HUB's are eternally blessed" and its time for a replacement.

Hopefully not, I only had it installed this morning! I might back up the config and try a factory reset. So far though I've managed to get a small number of things connected which had static 192.168.1.x addresses, the DHCP seems to be an issue though. I'm accessing the web interface via 4G on my phone but it won't enable DHCP for some reason, you tick it and save and it reverts back to disabled.

I'm getting some devices connected to it at least, I have devices with scripts that look for other 192.168.1.x addresses etc. and some that will be a pain to have to reconfigure. I'm thinking I may just have to go with modem mode and buy a router...

Sololobo
Community elder
Message 12 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies wrote:

@Sephiroth wrote:
What's the big secret, Kippies?

No big secret. The post that tells you how to do it is hard to find and its a bit *ahem*

Surprised its still there so I dont like to draw attention to it publicly. You dig?

If it's this post from eddy29. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Superhub-3-internal-network-address/td-p/3... then it's not really that "hard to find". See posts 12 and 14 for info.

Nowhere within that thread does it seem to be a bit "ahem" as a post from Nat_J,a member of the forum team in post #124 States 

Sorry to hear about the trouble experienced DHD

Great to hear that a workaround has proven to be successful for you.

Let me know if I can assist with anything further,

This would indicate that VM have no objection to this workaround being implemented, and no reason to believe the workaround is in any way "ahem"!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 13 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Possibly relieved that they don’t have to do ***** (double negative intended)!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 14 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo wrote:

@Kippies wrote:

@Sephiroth wrote:
What's the big secret, Kippies?

No big secret. The post that tells you how to do it is hard to find and its a bit *ahem*

Surprised its still there so I dont like to draw attention to it publicly. You dig?

If it's this post from eddy29. http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Superhub-3-internal-network-address/td-p/3... then it's not really that "hard to find". See posts 12 and 14 for info.

Nowhere within that thread does it seem to be a bit "ahem" as a post from Nat_J,a member of the forum team in post #124 States 

Sorry to hear about the trouble experienced DHD

Great to hear that a workaround has proven to be successful for you.

Let me know if I can assist with anything further,

This would indicate that VM have no objection to this workaround being implemented, and no reason to believe the workaround is in any way "ahem"!

The link in this post no longer works as it has been removed - not found.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 15 of 28
Flag for a moderator

It's still there as far as I could see. Use the link below then scroll to posts 12 & 14.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Superhub-3-internal-network-address/td-p/3...

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 16 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Read this topic with great interest, very useful for some people.

I’m very eased to say doing something like this is very easy on my new Christmas present, a Ubiquiti Edge Router Lite (although hex manipulation comes easy to me after working with it for years, still even able to multiply and divide in it!).

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
martyp
Superfast
Message 17 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I'm hoping this is something that's possible to change in a firmware update and if so if they care enough for those on here that are suffering with the issue.

I'm now getting problems with devices which only use DHCP and no static IP options, even those with static IPs seem to connect intermittently now, I'm considering backing up the config, doing a factory reset (is it normal that the option on the web interface is invalid?). The DHCP problem is annoying, I'll try the fix from that thread again maybe as I did consider it may have received updated firmware since being installed yesterday morning.

0 Kudos
nigeldodd
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 28
Flag for a moderator

" firmware update and if so if they care enough for those on here that are suffering with the issue" I share your views but shan't hold my breath.

On the one hand I enjoy a challenge and so welcome the work-around that has been published. On the other hand this is the primary and essential flow of information in to and out of my house and I need it to work reliably and so am loathe to do something that could possibly prejudice this. 

I really do not like the Nannie mentality that restricts passwords and dhcp IP addresses and there are probably other things yet to be discovered with this hub3.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 19 of 28
Flag for a moderator

In reply to nigeldood, I have long taken the view that the more important the Internet is to me, the greater the justification for using modem mode and buying a decent WiFi router.

Some people just go round in hopeless circles demanding that VM fix this kind of omission and why should they thus pay for their own router. This circle is a road to nowhere and isn't a principle worth standing on.

nigeldodd
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Steph. The Hub3 does have 5gHz wifi which my Netgear router does not and the Netgear router has had to be at the other end of the house to get adequate coverage with previous Virgin boxes. I am a little loathe to shell out more money every router upgrade. I consider I pay Virgin quite enough already. But I do agree with your sentiment, Steph.

0 Kudos